1989 Cruz

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1989 Cruz

Post by PhilW »

One of three bottles purchased from Auchan in Bolougne for ~£11 each. Given people's comments when I mentioned I'd bought them, I was definitely interested to see whether it was ok, or would become a cooking ingredient...

People's previous comments
AHB wrote: Gulp!!
Have you read the tasting notes for this port?
Actually, it's not that bad. And you paid a fair price for a VP that is usually of LBV standard.
smisse wrote:Actually I also purchased 3 bottles of Cruz 89 during my holiday in France in September.
As well for the ridiculous price of I believe 14EUR. (even in a small wooden crate)
And they are actually not that bad...
DRT wrote:Morrison's used to sell Cruz 89 at £11 and it was my "house port" for a while. It is good value, but not recognisable as VP.
Someone from the trade told me that, in the true spirit of blending only the very best wines from the vintage into their VP, Cruz produced 1,000,000 bottles of their 1989 :lol:
Tasting Note
0h post-decent : Very harsh, cherries, cough mixture and very very hot
12h post-decant : about the same, didn't want to drink it at this point
36h post-decant : integrated slightly, still too hot, cough mixture waning, quite dry, still didn't want to drink it...
48h post-decant : reasonably integrated now; drinkable and tastes like a medium to good quality LBV, cherries, very dry, slightly smoother than most LBV now the alcohol has integrated, but slightly odd aftertaste.

So overall, medium-LBV level quality if left for long enough first, but wouldn't buy again; I didn't have high expectations given the year, and they weren't met. Also, incidentally, the first VP I have opened which did not provide the name of the house on the cork, which stated only "Vintage 1989".
Last edited by PhilW on 09:59 Tue 05 Mar 2013, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 1989 Cruz

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

PhilW wrote:..."Vintage 1979".
1979 or 1989?

And you're not a real port drinker until you've braved a vintage port from Cruz. Welcome to the brotherhood!
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

AHB wrote:1979 or 1989?
typo, "Vintage 1989" on the cork.
AHB wrote:And you're not a real port drinker until you've braved a vintage port from Cruz. Welcome to the brotherhood!
Do I get a cape? ;)
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

PhilW wrote:0h post-decent :
A premonition?
Glenn Elliott