1977 Fonseca

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
richmills
Warre’s Warrior

1977 Fonseca

Post by richmills »

On opening there was a wonderful strong nose of Christmas cake, after decanting however it was quite closed in the glass.

At T+0 I could taste strawberries, blackberries and cherry with a hint of pepper, the spirit was strong but already quite well integrated. Not a bombastic 'in your face' port, quite mellow and restrained. Sampled regularly until around T+6 the alcohol continued to integrate and it got even smoother.

The next day there was one glass left in the decanter. By this point the flavour was still strawberries, but now joined by vanilla and cream. The spirit if anything was now a little faded. I don't think this would have lasted another day in the decanter without going flat.

A really lovely port, but a little on the light side. I'll be making a point of finishing up my other bottle of this rather than leaving it for many more years. Score: 91-93.