NV Graham Crusted 2000

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

NV Graham Crusted 2000

Post by KillerB »

Didn't know whether to call this NV or put the year on, so I put the bottled year on. I can change if anybody gets uppity.

Reasonable amount of grit in bottom of bottle when it was decanted including some quite solid stuff.

Colour was dark, a sort of blackcurrant cordial colour - yes, undiluted Ribena. Mildly viscous. Nose was pretty thin with a hint of cherry and some coffee.

In the mouth it was medium-bodied with sweet cherry and finishing with weak coffee.

Following day it had thickened up and the coffee had become stronger.

Third day it was even more gooey and the cherries and coffe both more prominent. I suspect that if I hadn't finished it then I would have had a sort of kirsch espresso by the end of the week.

Not a great Port but I suspect that it will get better with a lot of extra time. Excellent value at the £7 something that I paid per bottle though.
Port is basically a red drink
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

A Crusted port for £7 is a no brainer. While Crusted may not be the ultimate majesty that vintage can bring, its a jolly decent second and as good as many SQVPs or "early-drinking second labels".

Care to share where it came from?

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

It was at Sainsbury's last year - I think a number of us got some. I thought you did.

Here's the FTLOP thread
Port is basically a red drink
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I was tempted, but flew out of the country before I could give in to temptation. **Sigh** Never mind, perhaps next time.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Axel P

Post by Axel P »

Alex: if your temptation comes back, tempt some for me, too...

Axel
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

The proper way to list a crusted port is Graham's Crusted Port, Bottled in 2000. as they are generally a blend of several years and the date is the year they bottled it. Boy those Port people really like to try and confuse us sometimes :lol:
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Technically I should probably start a new thread, as I've tasted this from a different bottle than KillerB, but since I didn't make detailed notes I decided against it.

Typical Graham's nose: spirity and some sweet cherry. Very round and sweet in the mouth, with sweet dark cherries and coffee. Soft tannins, that give some structure. Slightly hot finish. Drinking very nicely, and very much Graham in style. So, if you like that, this will please you.

It worked very well as marinade for duck liver terrine as well. :)