1945 Taylor

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
idj123
Morgan 1991

1945 Taylor's VP

Post by idj123 »

First of all, I'll leave it to the powers that be to move this to another category since this is less a TN than an experience note! I'd mentioned in a previous submission that I was going to be opening a bottle of Taylor's 1945 at my nuptials. This duly took place on 26 April. The bottle was decanted (in a guest's room) early evening and quite surprising to me in view of the fact that to my knowledge, the bottle had never been laid down, the cork came out with a minmium of fuss (only losing a bit) whereupon we left it decant for about four hours. Clearly when we came to imbibe it, we'd already had one or three beverages under our belt (making a genuine TN somewhat redundant even if I were in any case capable of articulating one), nonetheless, my father-in-law needn't have had any concerns regarding oxidisation, since it was absolutely stunning (a view confirmed by all those fortunate enough to enjoy a taste)! There is no doubt in my mind that even if this VP had plateau'd (and I was not convinced that it had) then the plateau was set to continue for an awfully long time. Quite honestly, I'd be surprised if I ever have the opportunity of tasting something so sublime again-although, of course, I'm happy to put in the hours!

As a brief footnote to this, we decanted a bottle 1963 Noval VP at the same time (as back-up) and consumed it just after the Taylor's. I think it's fair to say, that although good, it neither had the depth or length of finish of the Taylor's.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Re: 1945 Taylor's VP

Post by jdaw1 »

idj123 wrote:of course, I'm happy to put in the hours!
As are we all.
mpij
Fonseca LBV

Re: 1945 Taylor's VP

Post by mpij »

I recently had similar experience when I opened my 1 bottle as part of celebrations for my parents 60th wedding aniversary.