1983 Cockburn

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
TLW
Quinta do Noval LBV

1983 Cockburn VP

Post by TLW »

About 60% opaque, roughly as expected.

After decanting, relatively little nose, but taste of raspberries. Somewhat thin, and a little disapoointing after the last bottle from the case that I had a couple of months ago. The word 'reedy' came to mind, but it could just have been that it was late, it was warm, and I was tired.

Will try again at D+1 and see if the wine, or I, are any different.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

1983 Cockburn VP

Post by Andy Velebil »

Your descriptions appear to indicate its corked. This normally, from good bottles, has a very fragrant nose and fruity palate still.
TLW
Quinta do Noval LBV

Re: 1983 Cockburn VP

Post by TLW »

Andy Velebil wrote:Your descriptions appear to indicate its corked. This normally, from good bottles, has a very fragrant nose and fruity palate still.
Possibly so, although I really just want to delude myself that it was a bit warm.

At D+1, it was little changed, although possibly a bit softer. Nose muted.

The capsule was intact, and the cork looked about right for a wine of this age. I had been hoping for something a bit nicer to finish out the season. Oh well, will just have to think towards next year's line-up. Fortunately, there is much from which to choose.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

1983 Cockburn VP

Post by Andy Velebil »

As I don't know your knowledge of wine/port. Corked, or TCA tainted, has nothing to do with how a cork looks. It's a chemical in natural cork that affects about 1-2% of all wines sealed with corks. In low levels it can rob a wine of its nose and flavors. In higher levels it can smell like wet musty cardboard. Some people are very sensitive to it and some are not very sensitive to it.

This port is known to have a high incident of TCA infected bottles, some 80+% based on empirical evidence.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

TLW wrote:I had been hoping for something a bit nicer to finish out the season.
There's a season....?? :shock:
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
TLW
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by TLW »

djewesbury wrote:
Living in Tokyo, when it is 30+ Celsius and 80% humidity, somehow the decanter is less tempting..........
Until early October.

If I lived in Scotland, where the temperature never seems to rise above "brisk" even in mid-summer, my port consumption would nearly double!
--------------------------------------

Also, Andy, thanks for the information on failure rate of the 1983 Cockburn, although I have a fair few left in my cellar, and will have to figure out what to do with them. Will finish off the current one, and look forward to next year.

Christmas gifts to unsuspecting people who are unfamiliar with port, perhaps.................. :lol:
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

TLW wrote:
djewesbury wrote:
Living in Tokyo, when it is 30+ Celsius and 80% humidity, somehow the decanter is less tempting..........
Until early October.

If I lived in Scotland, where the temperature never seems to rise above "brisk" even in mid-summer, my port consumption would nearly double!
--------------------------------------
i believe it just means you serve the port at a lower temperature ;-)
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz