1997 Niepoort

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
gerwin.degraaf
Taylor’s LBV

1997 Niepoort VP

Post by gerwin.degraaf »

It was the first time I've opened such a youngster, because when opening my 6 botle case a couple of days ago to make some more room in my cellar, as bottles take up much less space than when still in the OWC), I found that one of the bottles was showing signs of seepage (and rather a lot of it). So I decided to put it up for quick opening.

And it seems I´ve been lucky. Not only wasn´t it affected by the seepage, there was also no sign of any other defect. :D

The bottle was decanted on saturday the 15th, at about 13.00 hrs. Upon opening there was quite some alcohol on the nose (which was expected), but that slowly but surely integrated nicely over time. I'm glad I've decided on a long (longer than what I would normally do) decant time.

First glass enjoyed at 0.45 hrs (to check it out before taking it to my dad's the following day for fathersday), and it was allready grand indeed.
Colour: very evenly, deep intensive dark (brick)red. Great, promising colour.

Nose: at first, still some alcohol on the nose, with some sharpness. After that it quickly turned to a powerfull nose of ripe intense red fruit (I noticed, strawberries, cherries, maybe some raspberry) and flowertones (I want to say violets, but I'm no expert when it comes to flowerscents, I could be off here).

Taste: at first, a start of sweet soft red fruits, followed by lots of power, again an explosion of fruit and spices, to a finish of liquorice followed by tones of dark chocolate and even some mint in the end. All in all a very nice finish which lasts for about 60-90 seconds !!

Conclusion: a still very young VP, which (at least this bottle) was out of the numb phase and which is utterly enjoyable (but I would recommend a long decant time!!)

On day two, on fathersday it showed itself at it's best and I found it even better than on the night before, since all the alcohol on the nose had integrated nicely so the nose was super!