1977 Warre

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

1977 Warre

Post by jdaw1 »

The presence of Alex B. in New York triggered a tasting (arranged via this thread, and discussed in this review) to which:This thread contains the tasting notes for the Warre 1977.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

W77

Post by jdaw1 »

Worryingly transparent on decanting at 12:10. Unchanged brown-red on drinking.

Nosing had nothing distinctive except soft old port, though AHB said “amazing nose†. Some detected liquorice.

To taste soft, very very long, no heat. AHB found “red liquorice†.

Voted the best port of the evening.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

My #3 ,

i think this was the one with the most finesse out of the bunch.

fresh berries, and I follow JDAW with the no heat.

with a spicy/nutty slight menthol finish that had at least a 40 sec finish.

I like this one alot, but I feel the 85 warres at the same age will probably be the better port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

7 hours in decanter before tasting. Light centre, ruby core with the ruby paling towards the edge. Very well developed nose, with sweet cranberries and red liquorice. A mouth filling entry with lots of liquorice also showing on the mid-palate. Lovely balance in the mouth. The aftertaste is warm and fruity with a good length. Delicate and nicely mature today with the potential to soften further. My wine of the night and a port that is above the average today and (for my taste) likely to be better in a decade. 6-7 on Tom's scale or 92/100.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Overtired and emotional
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Overtired and emotional »

Recently finished the last bottle from a case which I broached a few years ago. It has been a very consistent wine over the years, virtually no bottle variation I can recall.

It has been very agreeable and satisfying, a very solid structure, very long. It is, I think, at its plateau and would wonder about another decade.

John
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Overtired and emotional wrote:It has been very agreeable and satisfying, a very solid structure, very long. It is, I think, at its plateau and would wonder about another decade.
My view that this wine would be better in a decade was a minority view on the night. However, I do enjoy ports that are smooth, mellow and fragrant. I think that this particular wine will offer a lot more of those characteristics in a decade - but I'm often wrong and always happy to admit that.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.