1985 Graham

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

1985 Graham

Post by jdaw1 »

The presence of Alex B. in New York triggered a tasting (arranged via this thread, and discussed in this review) to which:This thread contains the tasting notes for the Graham 1985.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Guys, this sounds like a fabulous evening. All the best!

Axel
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

G85

Post by jdaw1 »

The second darkest (after the K85), and my second favourite, nosing of “heavy berries†. To taste heavy, gooey, long and rich with berry fruit. Classic G85. AHB thought it slightly corked (“some TCA†), though too slightly for my blunt nose.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

I also thought this to be slightly corked.

There was a slight musty cardboard nose and taste when the wine sat in the glass.

the legs on this w ine was the best out of the bunch with a beautiful dark red ruby color.

The finish was a good 30 sec finish

rich sweet berries also a tinge of black pepper.

Had the best mouth coating ability and also was one of the thickest ports in the bunch.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Double decanted for 6 hours before serving. Lighter red colour, oranging on the rim. A high toned edge to the nose along with roasted courgette and a mustiness. There was some discussion as to whether this was corked or not - Jeff and I decided that it was although not too badly. However, I did find the flavours in the mouth showed the TCA quite distinctly. However, the aftertaste of this wine was quite something special - I shall definitely hunt one of these dawn to try it again.

Not given a rating by me due to the TCA but a wine that promised a huge amount.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.