1970 Graham

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

1970 Graham

Post by djewesbury »

Exciting pictures here.

The first bottle opened from a batch bought from Fine + Rare, bottled by Matthew Gloag of Perth (makers of Famous Grouse). This was opened on Tuesday 6th August to mark the first anniversary of my mum's death, after a dinner composed of several of her own recipes, and a bottle of Beaucastel Chateauneuf du Pape 2004 (no note taken unfortunately).

Level was very-top-shoulder / base of neck. A strong ruby pink, with a hint of orange, about 50-60%. Good so far.

At decanting, the nose had lots of spice - cloves, cinnamon, liquorice. Also, behind the alcohol was a citric note, then strawberries and a slight mintiness. Very good so far.

To taste, at decanting, this was lightly chocolatey, but not heavy. It had a dry, long, warm note of spiced cake.

After a few hours, this opened up terrifically. Beneath the strawberries and spice, there was a strong herby element; minty, but with a touch of eucalyptus as well. Something a little bitter anyway - not in way that would undermine the other characteristics, in fact it gave it some robustness. A very long finish, with pepper and spice.

The next evening this had softened tremendously to long toffee notes. The nose was much diminished but the port was still drinking extremely well.

If the others are like this, joy will be unconfined.
Last edited by djewesbury on 15:49 Thu 15 Aug 2013, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 1970 Graham

Post by DRT »

djewesbury wrote:If the others are like this, joy will be unconfined.
:D
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Ahhh. I found one of these at home. I’m already looking forward to it.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

1970 Graham

Post by djewesbury »

jdaw1 wrote:Ahhh. I found one of these at home. I’m already looking forward to it.
You shouldn't delay. Drink it this weekend.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

:(
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn