1984 Warre LBV (unfiltered)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1984 Warre LBV (unfiltered)

Post by PhilW »

I opened one of these up a couple of nights ago; I pop'n'poured. At D+0 I thought this was much better than at D+24: At D+0 it was light, fruity (strawberries) but with strong tabacco mid-late palate; At D+24 some hint of cough mixture seemed to be joining in. I would be interested to know if others have felt that the old LBVs show better shortly post-decant, rather than later? (I stored half of the bottle in a half-bottle immediately post-decant, recorked and put in the fridge. Will try in a couple of days to compare, too...)

Also, the cork says "Warre 1984"... no mention of LBV; Is this normal? (I don't open enough LBV to know)

[edit: title adjusted to required format, as this is now in the tasting note section]
Last edited by PhilW on 10:06 Wed 11 Sep 2013, edited 1 time in total.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Warre 1984 LBV

Post by DRT »

Post moved to the correct part of the forum by DRT.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

PhilW wrote:Also, the cork says "Warre 1984"... no mention of LBV; Is this normal? (I don't open enough LBV to know)
Was this one of the Bottle Matured LBVs that we bought rather a lot of recently? If so, the cork on the 1982 that I opened a few days ago was branded "Warre's Vintage 1982 Bottled 1986" No mention of LBV on the cork but enough information that someone who knows the IVDP rules would be able to identify this as a late bottled vintage port.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

AHB wrote:
PhilW wrote:Also, the cork says "Warre 1984"... no mention of LBV; Is this normal? (I don't open enough LBV to know)
Was this one of the Bottle Matured LBVs that we bought rather a lot of recently? If so, the cork on the 1982 that I opened a few days ago was branded "Warre's Vintage 1982 Bottled 1986" No mention of LBV on the cork but enough information that someone who knows the IVDP rules would be able to identify this as a late bottled vintage port.
Yes it is from that purchase (2012). I checked the cork again yesterday, and it says "Warre 1984" and then further round "bottled 1988" (which I had missed) but does not include the word vintage.
PhilW

Re: 1984 Warre LBV (unfiltered)

Post by PhilW »

PhilW wrote:(I stored half of the bottle in a half-bottle immediately post-decant, recorked and put in the fridge. Will try in a couple of days to compare, too...)
Reporting back: the second half of the bottle was removed from the fridge and drunk last night, and was as delicious as the original pop'n'pour.