NV Quinta do Passadouro Ruby Reserve

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

NV Quinta do Passadouro Ruby Reserve

Post by djewesbury »

Opened yesterday; was too busy drinking it to record what it tasted of.

This is the colour you'd expect of a ruby reserve, dark pink and almost entirely opaque with a thin pink rim. It's not hugely expressive on the nose - black cherries and perhaps a touch of vanilla. In the mouth it's very soft and very well balanced. Many reserves are very simple: massive fruits, cloying sweetness. This is altogether subtler. The fruit is quiet, gentle. The dryness and heat are on the top of the palate; late acidity gives a good depth; and the finish is good and long [replenishes glass..] and here's the fruit: at the end, black cherries, slight figgy notes, a little eucalyptus giving complexity, and then there's that vanilla again, with chocolate as well.

For a 'basic' port this is really very good; it could be an unfiltered LBV. It's rich, but with depth and complexity and an exceptional, mouthwatering finish that is still going as I write this. Coming back from Porto in September, I gave up two of the places in my luggage (out of a total of 12) that were intended for VP, so that we could have some of this. Glad I did so.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

NV Passadouro Ruby Reserva

Post by djewesbury »

Later on, I've noticed that a blend of mint as chocolate is in the front of this, with kirsch cherries behind, when first you take a sip.

It really is good.

EDIT: I believe the predominant note in the finish is described by some as 'mocha'. Some seem to find this flavour unpleasant. I rather like it; the slight bitterness is welcome in a rich port such as this.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...