1970 Martinez

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1970 Martinez

Post by LGTrotter »

Lovely old colour, quite brown but with a beautiful ‘robe’ like burgundy which seems to magnify it. Not much colour at the rim, a faint pinkness only.
The nose is quite slight, spirity then giving way to liquorice and a suggestion of fruit. Something at the back of it like fungus, not the damp cardboard of a corked wine but a little farmyard. Doubtless I should mark this as a negative but I found it endearing. The more I drink of it the harder I find it to love, there is something minty about it that I find distracting. Better with some walnuts and an apple, bacon and cherryade emerging, it seems to taste a bit fuller.
The next night it is sweeter but simpler on the palate. Fanciful I realise but it feels indifferent to the attention I am giving it, perhaps it is just an indifferent wine. It may be a slightly faulty bottle but I have a couple of other notes that are similar. I would guess it is on the downward curve but not speedily; Five-five.