1980 Dow

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

1980 Dow

Post by djewesbury »

Another from a batch of 7 bought earlier this year. This was a seeping bottle, with stained selo and much crusting under the capsule. Cork broke up. Was fresh and spicy on the nose at opening. D+10, a good colour, dark and purple-red, nose very quiet with black cherries, but in the mouth, as well as pleasant spice and fruit, a lot of VA sharpness.

Will wait to see how this tastes tomorrow evening.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: 1980 Dow

Post by Glenn E. »

My usual experience (which isn't usual at all, as I've only had the Port 4-5 times) is that 10 hours isn't sufficient decant. I recommend 12-14 for it, and more isn't a crime. I think you will be pleased this evening.
Glenn Elliott
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Glenn E. wrote:My usual experience (which isn't usual at all, as I've only had the Port 4-5 times) is that 10 hours isn't sufficient decant. I recommend 12-14 for it, and more isn't a crime. I think you will be pleased this evening.
I keenly await this prospect and opened another (of the same batch of D80, but one that wasn't seeping - nice clean cork) for comparison! We have a couple of guests so we can do the Pepsi challenge tonight.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

I must admit that i am yet to see the magic in this port. I am aware i am potentially in a very lonely place when saying this.

I hope i am wrong, because in deference to others and in full cogniscance of my own fallibility when tasting ports, i have bought it in moderately large quantities!
Rob C.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

Only had it once; underwhelmed, people do rave about it though (perhaps because they do).
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Magic? No. I believe my highest rating for it is 93. But it is a beast of a Port that will likely outlive all of us. And were I to visit, I would not be disappointed if one were opened for us to drink together.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Glenn Elliott