1989 Quinta do Vesuvio

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

1989 Vesuvio

Post by Axel P »

The big thing about the 89 Vesuvio â€‟ apart from being the first Vesuvio made by the Symingtons- is the Douro bake, a taste coming from storing the wine in its barrel-phase in the Douro Valley without proper air conditioning. And yes, there it was: from the first approach it was clear, that the 89 Vesuvio is a typical example for this tasting-experience. The colour is well developed with almost brownish notes. The nose has the burnt taste of tar with hidden fruit underneath and an alcoholic touch. In the mouth the wine is sweet with hints of spices and strong Alcohol. Very interesting, but no further potential.

Axel
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Interesting, I thought that Douro Bake developed in the bottle rather than in wood.

AHB's note from earlier today seems to suggest there are some with and some without The Bake which seems to support the idea that it is bottle rather than cask ageing where this occurs.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Axel P

Post by Axel P »

Derek,

I wasnt aware of this, but as Dominic told me that they installed air conditioning around 91/92 a development of the douro bake flavor in the bottle is rather unlikely to me.

Axel
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Axel,

My belief/theory is based entirely on assumption, ignorance and supposition. I do not have one fact or subjective experience to back it up yet I believe it to be true.

This says more about me than it does about the Vesuvio 89 :lol: :lol:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Axel P

Post by Axel P »

I guess we should consult Dr. Vesuvio for this: Alex, what do you think.

Axel
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Good idea. He is the only man who could possibly know the complete answer.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn