1975 Taylor

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1975 Taylor vintage port

Post by uncle tom »

Decanted yesterday evening.

First sip showed class, but fire - I hoped this would go away, but 30 hours on, the wine, while better, still has too much burn.

At the moment it's looking like a flawed gem - will give it another night to settle down..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

After another 24 hours the fire has finally subsided to leave a light but very pleasant mature wine, with the Taylor signature very much in evidence.

To score..

For immediate gratiication, I will forgive the time it took to integrate, and judge it as it is now - an above average wine, but not by a mile - so a 6.

Where's it going? Although not obviously in decline, there is no evidence of potential for future development, and the excess spirit may prove to be a growing issue over time. I'm therefore a little pessimistic about the prospects for this one..

..so score 6-4

- One to drink up!

Tom
Last edited by uncle tom on 11:20 Sat 10 Nov 2007, edited 1 time in total.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Final note - the last two glasses from this decanter (drunk 48 hours after decanting) were really good - do dregs sometimes taste better? - or does this need two days decanting time??

Tom