2002 Croft LBV

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

2002 Croft LBV

Post by KillerB »

Unfiltered.

As discovered by Derek at Sainsbury's for the princely sum of £6.49. With 5% off for six this came to £37, which cannot be a bad idea.

Decanted into an old crystal decanter and there was no sediment. Not particularly surprising considering that it was probably bottled the week before last. Very dark ruby colour but not black, nice cherry rim. Medium vicosity with slow, long, spindly legs (Peter Crouch, anyone?)

Nice plum and cherry aromas as it was being decanted but these are less obvious in the glass with a cough syrup note coming through.

In the mouth there is a good lump of cherry with that cough syrup note in there as well. Medium bodied, sweet but still tannic with a dry finish. Cough syrup is still lingering half a minute later.

Nice combination but youthful and will probably age reasonably well in the bottle. Don't know if it will reach the standards of Warre's, Noval, Niepoort etc, but after one sip straight from the bottle I'd say it was well worth £6.50.

More on this story later.
Port is basically a red drink
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Five hours later and a little more chewy in the mouth now. The cough syrup has changed to being aniseed whilst it has become sweeter and less tannic.

Still nothing special it is nonetheless very drinkable.
Port is basically a red drink
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I've opened my first bottle of this tonight. I recognise the Peter Crouch legs :wink:

Decanted 4 hours before tasting. Nice thick, chewy mouthfeel. I agree with the cough syrup reference. More Benalin than Venos in my view with dark cherrys and some chocolate.

Dry, dry, dry and dry in the finish but not as raw as I was expecting. I think this will develop quite nicely with not too many years in bottle. My other 12 will being going off site to grow up in peace and out of harms way :roll:

These are a fantastic buy at just over £6 each.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn