1977 Dow

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1977 Dow vintage port

Post by uncle tom »

The first bottle from an owc bought last June - this bottle selected for being the runt of the litter - a VTS level while all the others were IN - yet no signs of seepage.

Decanted half an hour ago - very dark for it's age, fair amount of soupy sediment.

First sip: Little bit of fire - typical dry Dow signature - hints of cherries perhaps - liquorice?

Very promising, but rather at odds with the previous TN's on this site.

More anon..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

8 hours on..

The rather cold, dour, Dow signature is very much in evidence - but the fire is unabated..

If the fire would go away, this could be a gem...

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

Found this document today- from 2004. http://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles/winenews1016

Dow 1977 is also mentioned. Perhaps someone could be interested.
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

33 hours on..

Poured a liberal glass and took a quick sniff - from cold and dour this is now giving me a classic bouquet...

.. on the palate, the fire is almost gone and the wine is fully integrated - a very good tipple...

To score;

Looking at the other tasting notes on this site, and other reportage on the 77's, I'm going to hazard a guess that this case has enjoyed much cooler storage than most - the wine is very dark - much more so than in Julian's photos.

This may well be the '77 vintage that was raved over a decade ago, before the 'Peter Pan' factor became apparent.

- But I can only score the bottle in question.

For immediate gratification, this is top quartile, but I don't think I can give it a 9 - an 8 though, is an easy call.

Where's it going? Without the benefit of other notes, I would expect a modest decline over the next decade, - but the reports from bottles that may have been less well cellared suggests that the wine is capable of quite rapid deterioration.

Cautiously, therefore, I will score this 8-6

Tom
Overtired and emotional
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Overtired and emotional »

Most reviews of this wine I have seen have been negative, complaining of a vegetal quality. I always suspected it was a case of tasting a wine which had decanted too short a time.

My off tastings have been very favourable, and all when the wine has had time to open up. Another argument for being patient.
It may be drivel, but it's not meaningless.