1963 Sandeman

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Simon Lisle
Taylor’s LBV

1963 Sandeman Vintage Port

Post by Simon Lisle »

I tried this again just to be sure medium bodied nothing offensive slight overtones but the croft 63 was better

Admin Note: Thread title changed to conform with indexing standards
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Simon,

Isn't this the one Derek thought was poor? Are you sticking up for it being pleasant?

Alan
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

I put an S63 on Death Row today - I can't recall when (if ever..?) I've drunk this one - but it gets an awful lot of reportage...

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Conky wrote:Simon,

Isn't this the one Derek thought was poor? Are you sticking up for it being pleasant?

Alan
Alan,

Have another read of this thread without the benefit of 10 pints of Guinness and you will find that I rated it the 2nd best port of the evening. :roll:

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Derek,

My apologies. I was refering to this Post in the Thread about whether Noval ever made a SQ.
Derek T. wrote:Alan,

I think S63 is genarally considered to be past its best and, as far as I am aware, was never considered top flight. That said, 50% of the examples I have had have been amongst the best ports I have ever had.

Derek
So unless there are two Dereks, whereupon I might not be addressing the right one, I was just mentioning that I respect your opinion, and you had suggested it had a Poor reputation.

But I'll apologise anyway.

:D Alan :D
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Alan,

No need to apologise, but I do think you are unintentionally misinterpreting my words. If something is "past its best and not considered to be in the top top flight" it doesn't mean it is in any way "poor".

S63, to my knowledge, was never classed in the same category as the likes of the Fonseca, Graham's, Taylor or Noval Nacional from the same vintage. Thus "not in the top flight". "Past its best" simply means it is generally showing to be on the decline. No real surprise for a 44 year old VP that wasn't in the top flight. The 2 bottles I have had recently, I believe, buck the trend in that they are not showing the signs of age that most other S63's seem to be doing at present.

For "poor" I read Fonseca 92, Cruz Ruby etc :lol: :lol: :lol:

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Understood. And so after due re-consideration, and my short learning curve, I would like all previous Posts of mine to be disregarded, and I will start afresh...

Simon,

I hope you find this pleasant.

Alan

:lol: :lol: :lol: