1983 Château Pontet-Canet Pauillac

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

1983 Château Pontet-Canet Pauillac

Post by djewesbury »

The night after the Niepoort tasting with Nick Delaforce, friends old and new met with Nick to drink some bottles that they brought. The venue was the Morning Star pub, Pottinger's Entry, Belfast, who found us about 80 glasses and served us with fine steaks.

The placemats.

The ports: With dinner, we had some wine:
  • 1988 Château d'Angludet (Derek T)
  • 1983 Château Pontet-Canet (Justin K)
  • 2010 Niepoort Redoma Tinto
  • 2011 Niepoort Drink Me Tinto
lozenge, section, dagger and doubledagger were included to allow us to enjoy leftovers from the night before: Niepoort 2001 Colheita, 1998 LBV, Senior Tawny, 2000 Vintage (from half bottle), and 2011 Vintage.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 1983 Château Pontet-Canet Pauillac

Post by jdaw1 »

1983 Château Pontet-Canet Pauillac. Only a brief note was taken, saying ‟Big. Long. Acidity showing strongly.”
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

jdaw1 wrote:1983 Château Pontet-Canet Pauillac. Only a brief note was taken, saying ‟Big. Long. Acidity showing strongly.”
For me, this was exemplary of strongly acid old Bordeaux that is still very pleasant to drink; Justin brought it but said he can't bear old Bordeaux any more. I would not want to drink anything sharper, certainly.
Daniel J.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

djewesbury wrote:For me, this was exemplary of strongly acid old Bordeaux that is still very pleasant to drink; Justin brought it but said he can't bear old Bordeaux any more. I would not want to drink anything sharper, certainly.
Interesting; I consider 1983 to be just about at it's best drinking period. But I prefer drinking my claret from the '70s at the moment.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

AHB wrote:
djewesbury wrote:For me, this was exemplary of strongly acid old Bordeaux that is still very pleasant to drink; Justin brought it but said he can't bear old Bordeaux any more. I would not want to drink anything sharper, certainly.
Interesting; I consider 1983 to be just about at it's best drinking period. But I prefer drinking my claret from the '70s at the moment.
I don't get to drink enough (read 'any') claret from the '70s at the minute so I would welcome the schooling that this would give!
Daniel J.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

djewesbury wrote:
AHB wrote:
I don't get to drink enough (read 'any') claret from the '70s at the minute so I would welcome the schooling that this would give!
I had a Gloria 1970 at the weekend. It was fab :cool:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I do like the Gloria 1970 at the moment, it is a rather nice drop.

Did you buy all the stocks that were at that particular retailer you mentioned, or are there some left?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
PopulusTremula
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by PopulusTremula »

To return this to its northern irish origins: did you belt out G-L-O-R-I-A as you drank it?