Congratz to the Quevedos!

Anything to do with Port.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Congratz to the Quevedos!

Post by g-man »

full disclosure I am the NY distributor

but I wanted to let you guys know that upcoming Wine spectator gave oscar's 2011 VP 96 pts.
Last edited by g-man on 15:16 Thu 21 Nov 2013, edited 1 time in total.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: Congratz to oscar

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

And to Claudia - she was the one who made the wine!
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Oscar is in Belfast tonight - we will celebrate this with him!
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

AHB wrote:And to Claudia - she was the one who made the wine!
Yes! definitely goes without saying that Claudia's style from 2007 to 2011 has certainly hit the sweet spot!
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: Congratz to the Quevedos!

Post by Axel P »

When I firstly blind tasted the Quevedo I called Oscar in person to congratulate him, since I did not have Claudias number.

I believe that is an extremely well made Port with an outrageous price-value-relationship.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Axel P wrote:I believe that is an extremely well made Port with an outrageous price-value-relationship.
Something that I'm taking advantage of!

Congratulations to Claudia and Oscar for a fabulous VP!

So... just how long does it take for a 6L to properly age? :wink:
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Glenn E. wrote:So... just how long does it take for a 6L to properly age? :wink:
Longer than it will take most of us here to reach an age that it will no longer matter :sad:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

DRT wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:So... just how long does it take for a 6L to properly age? :wink:
Longer than it will take most of us here to reach an age that it will no longer matter :sad:
I might bring one of my dbl mags to our 2011 tasting in 2051. If I haven't drunk it.
Daniel J.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

djewesbury wrote:
DRT wrote:
I might bring one of my dbl mags to our 2011 tasting in 2051. If I haven't drunk it.
You might have to start that tasting without me.
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

DRT wrote:
djewesbury wrote:
DRT wrote:
Less of that kind of defeatist talk! We have the technology to rebuild all of us. We will be the bionic port drinkers. We'll be pouring the 2011s into our neck tubes for centuries to come!
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:You might have to start that tasting without me.
You’ll be late but why? At another tasting? Mistress just won’t let go? Tube strike? All three are plausible, sure, but are any really foreseeable?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
DRT wrote:You might have to start that tasting without me.
You’ll be late but why? At another tasting? Mistress just won’t let go? Tube strike? All three are plausible, sure, but are any really foreseeable?
I will be 86. I am planning to be with my nurse in my Douro care home. Where else did you think I might be?
Ernest H. Cockburn
TLW
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by TLW »

DRT wrote:
djewesbury wrote:
DRT wrote:
I have every intention of attending, but it may well be in a Jeremy Bentham fashion. Surely you can also make it.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

TLW wrote:I have every intention of attending, but it may well be in a Jeremy Bentham fashion. Surely you can also make it.
Wiki wrote:Afterward, the skeleton and head were preserved and stored in a wooden cabinet called the "Auto-icon", with the skeleton padded out with hay and dressed in Bentham's clothes. Originally kept by his disciple Thomas Southwood Smith,[19] it was acquired by University College London in 1850. It is normally kept on public display at the end of the South Cloisters in the main building of the college; however, for the 100th and 150th anniversaries of the college, and in 2013,[20] it was brought to the meeting of the College Council, where it was listed as "present but not voting".
That might cause a problem when selecting wine of the night.
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

DRT wrote:
TLW wrote:I have every intention of attending, but it may well be in a Jeremy Bentham fashion. Surely you can also make it.
Wiki wrote:Afterward, the skeleton and head were preserved and stored in a wooden cabinet called the "Auto-icon", with the skeleton padded out with hay and dressed in Bentham's clothes. Originally kept by his disciple Thomas Southwood Smith,[19] it was acquired by University College London in 1850. It is normally kept on public display at the end of the South Cloisters in the main building of the college; however, for the 100th and 150th anniversaries of the college, and in 2013,[20] it was brought to the meeting of the College Council, where it was listed as "present but not voting".
No. It just means you may get mouldy after the tasting.
Daniel J.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

In the 'official' blind tasting of 2011 I ranked the Quevedo very highly - a notch behind the Stone terraces, but ahead of all the mainstream blends...
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Lovely to see Oscar tonight. Who knows, perhaps a Belfast Quevedo tasting in 2014?
Daniel J.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Give Oscar my regards..

..and please say:

"Tom wants to know if you've shipped his 348 bottles of '74 yet"
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

uncle tom wrote:Give Oscar my regards..

..and please say:

"Tom wants to know if you've shipped his 348 bottles of '74 yet"
We're back home now but he did say that the 11s were coming next week - I presume in the same shipment as the 74s! Which I'm looking forward to tasting too.
Daniel J.
TLW
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by TLW »

djewesbury wrote:
DRT wrote:
My wife - and daughter - would argue that I have been mouldy for quite some time already. As my daughter may be the recipient of a large parcel of port at some point in the future, she might claim my spot instead - she will probably have the large formats of Taylor, in any case. Just have to move one notch in the alphabet - TMW.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

TLW wrote:
djewesbury wrote:
DRT wrote:
My wife - and daughter - would argue that I have been mouldy for quite some time already. As my daughter may be the recipient of a large parcel of port at some point in the future, she might claim my spot instead - she will probably have the large formats of Taylor, in any case. Just have to move one notch in the alphabet - TMW.
The self-correcting holographic placemats will take care of all that.
Daniel J.
idj123
Morgan 1991

Post by idj123 »

Excellent news for Oscar and the team, backing up the tagline I used for the Quevedo table at my nuptials in April this year-"one to watch for the future" (although I should have perhaps corrected to "one to watch now"!). Also looking forward to receiving my shipment and trying the '11 early doors, as I seem to be behind the curve in this regard compared to all else on this forum!

Excuse my ignorance but what are these '74s being referred to?
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

idj123 wrote:Excellent news for Oscar and the team, backing up the tagline I used for the Quevedo table at my nuptials in April this year-"one to watch for the future" (although I should have perhaps corrected to "one to watch now"!). Also looking forward to receiving my shipment and trying the '11 early doors, as I seem to be behind the curve in this regard compared to all else on this forum!

Excuse my ignorance but what are these '74s being referred to?
A 1974 Colheita that will be distributed through the Port Society - PM Tom for details..
Daniel J.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

djewesbury wrote:A 1974 Colheita that will be distributed through the Port Society - PM Tom for details..
Wait, what???

:evil:

(PM sent to Tom)
Glenn Elliott
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

Congratulations indeed to the Quevedos!

Excellent family, excellent juice, excellent price -- what's not to like?!

My associates and I are popping our first (of several) Methuselahs on December 6th, and I look forward to reporting back on the results. A 375 BYO'd last night was fabulous. Marginally more reticent than a 750ml sampled over the summer, but with all of the essential qualities well in place, and again, seamless integration of alcohol. The somm said it was the deepest, most viscous wine he'd ever seen, and kept the empty bottle. So epic, but so easy to consume. Will last 100 years. Phenomenal.

Well done Oscar, Claudia & π !