1970 Gonzalez Byass

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1970 Gonzalez Byass vintage port

Post by uncle tom »

I first sampled this wine in September 2006, and was pleasantly surprised.

A year+ on and time for another bottle. Decanted 2 hours ago.

The wine has already performed it's little party trick - on first decanting it is very light and pale - a pale cerise colour in the decanter - then after a couple of hours in decanter it is suddenly much much darker - weird!

The taste has also played games - my recollection was caramel as the key signature of the wine, but this was not at all in evidence at first sip.

After decanting, I wandered down to the pub for a jar or three, and on wandering back wondered if I'd got the signature muddled with Butler Nephew or Kopke perhaps..?

Now a glass of the darkened juice is giving me caramel loud and clear - all very strange...!

Anyway, this is already very approachable, and very good, with little initial fire remaining - a wine to look out for and nab on the auction circuit - if you can find it!

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

A couple of days on and this wine just pleases!

Think of a good mature Taylor, add a note of caramel and raise the sweetness level a tad - and you get the picture.

To score:

For immediate gratification this is upper quartile comfortably - although some might find it a little over-sweet. An easy 8.

Where's it going? It's fully mature, and firmly on a plateau - it might be a tad over the hill in a decade, but I'm thinking that it's high sugar level is going to pickle it for eternity.

Score 8-8

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill