1995 Croft Roeda

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1995 Quinta da Roeda (Croft) Vintage Port

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Another bottle bought from Majestic Wine Warehouses. Tasting note taken after about 36 hours from decanting - 12 hours after decanting this was rather spiky and with unbalanced acidity. The colour now is a deep, rich plum red with an opaque centre. On the nose there are blackcurrants and a pleasing mintiness with a hint of dustiness that I sometimes find in a port. The alcohol is integrated but this does smell like a young wine. This has a dry entry, restrained elegance with the fruit only coming through in the mid palate. This has a lovely blackcurrant lozenge fruitiness to it but has a very severe strutcure with a very acidic core. Still not in balance. The acidity causes a burning sensation when you swallow but the aftertaste is pleasant enough, domintaed by dry tannins and lasts a decnt time. This is not as pleasant or enjoyable as previous bottles that I have drunk but shows considerable structure for improvement in years to come. If it wasn't cheap, I would not buy this again for current drinking. On this showing of this bottle this is certainly in the bottom quartile of what I would expect to drink but with room - perhaps considerable room - for improvement. 1/3 or 82/100.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

This got a little better over the following 48 hours. I'm still drinking the remains of the bottle, but it is now starting to deteriorate with the alcohol starting to protrude and be too obvious on the late mid-palate and the aftertaste.

However, it is still most certainly better than no port at all and retains a lot of its red berry fruit - including a remarkable show of cranberries on the aftertaste.

Also, apologies to anyone who read this earlier but I have changed the title of the wine. For some reason I originally titled this TN as Quinta da Corte but it should have been - and now is - Quinta da Roeda.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.