1970 Berry Brothers

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1970 Berry Brothers

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

This is wine supplied by Warre.

A lovely deep rose colour, slightly orange on the rim. Giving off lovely plum and caramel scents as I tip it in the glass to see the colour. A swirl produces a slightly harsh and less attractive earthy smell that makes me cough.

In the mouth this is a little rough at first, a touch too harsh and too acidic. This slowly fades to bring some more pleasant flavours of sweet, bruised plums but with too much alcohol coming through.

The aftertaste is good. Warm toast and then a good, solid dose of dark chocolate that lasts a good time.

Not a great port, pleasant enough and perfectly drinkable but not one that makes it to the average for the year and I can't see further time in the bottle really helping it. On Tom's scale I will give this 3/3. On the Parker scale this gets a lowly 84.

This TN was written on port tasted after 8½ hours decanter time on 31 March 2007.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Alex,

Do you think this is the real Warre's 1970 VP? If so, I think you might have had a flawed bottle. I have always rated this wine very highly and your note doesn't ring any bells with my memory of it.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I do think that this is the real Warre 1970, but I also feel that it was probably a flawed bottle although it was bought from Berry Brothers.

Just goes to show that sometimes even the best provenance cannot guarantee a top notch bottle.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Perhaps you should have expressed that feeling in your original TN :roll:

:lol:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn