1998 Taylor Vargellas

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1998 Taylor's Quinta do Vargellas Vintage Port

Post by DRT »

From a killer deal at Tesco - <£8 per bottle 88)

Huge fruity smell on decanting. Not much sediment, less than I would have expected from a SQVP. The colour is quite light. Not transparent by any means but not as thick and opaque as I would have expected.

On Decanting
A slight hint of spirit on the nose. Mid weight in the mouth. A little fire after a few seconds which faded quickly. Fruit bomb cherry and blackcurrant and a big tannic burst of dryness. I like this.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

for reasons that I cannot even comprehend myself...

+48 Hours
Spirity nose. A nice weight and texture and still a big fruit bomb taste. The heat isn't evident in the mouth so much as it is in the nose. Lovely and smooth with some anecede and cherry truffle. A long, long finish that has the cheaks running with water yet my teeth and lips feel like they have been coated in chalk dust as the tannins are so dry.

I like this for drinking now but it will definately be better in 5 years time so my 6 pack is going away to grow up gracefully.

Score: 7-8

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
ajfeather
Fonseca LBV

Post by ajfeather »

wow, shame I had bought this as a cheaper port to drink over the next 5 years, I shall have to watch it evolve and try a bottle every now and then.

thanks for the notes