1977 Graham

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1977 Graham

Post by LGTrotter »

I had one of these partly as they are about all I can get to, also because I have a few (drunk a few to) and wanted to test them out. The opinion on this wine are divided and this makes it all the more interesting.

The cork and bottle are unremarkable. The colour is beautiful, rather pale but with an intensity and inner glow which reassures me. Initially the nose is indistinct with a bit of pepper and red fruit with some liquorice in behind. The palate is a two parter; first up is a lot of quite piquant red fruit, it then turns more acid (and/or tanninic) on the finish, but this did not feel unbalanced. There are still plenty of other elements to keep it going.
Over the next night or two it did seem to get a touch darker. I fancy it filled out a bit and if anything got more intense on the palate, but smoother. It has the feeling, conveyed in the colour and viscosity of a very sleek wine. It was not bothered by being open a long time, seeming to enjoy coming back at me with something new.

Clearly this wine is atypical of Graham, not a massively sweet blockbuster, with the sashay and bravura which I expect. Instead it is an elegant, layered wine. Think a young Elizabeth David rather than Nigella Lawson. I have no hesitation in saying it is a great bottle in the making. I am equally sure that rumours of its death or at least decline are much exaggerated. I think it may resemble a classic Cockburn in old age. I accept other folk have concerns. I have none. For me 8-9 and this may be stingy in the long run.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 1977 Graham

Post by DRT »

An excellent note. Thank you for sharing.

My lingering memory from the few occasions I have tasted this is that it is rather spirity and more delicate than I expect from Graham in a classic vintage. I do not recall disliking it, just thinking it different to my expectation. I wonder how it would show in a blind 1977 horizontal?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

A little spirit, but for sure one the top third in quality for the vintage. This port is taking the scenic road to maturity. Those who were down it for the last decade may have a change of heart on the next go around.

I find 1977 in general to be more hype than its warranted. I'll take '85 over '77 any day.
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

DRT drunk this fairly recently (I was there) but the only person to make a note on it was AHB. I found that like the majority of my Northern Irish-sourced bottles it was overdeveloped and somewhat too thin. I would love to taste well-stored G77 from a reputable source, Owen. Just saying.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
mosesbotbol

Post by mosesbotbol »

I just opened a bottle for tonight, it was imported locally to my locale in Boston. The initial pop and pour was actually quite sweet with much less heat than expected. Cork was really tight. Using the Durand was a mistake! Will be drinking the bottle in 8 hours over a friends' house. Leaving it in the decanter until we head off.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

DRT is correct. This has a lot of spirit and is lighter bodied than most other Graham's. That spirit has softened and integrated a little bit from its earlier days, but it is still prominent. I, and some others, agree that that overt spirit will never completely go away and will forever mare this Port.

That's not to say it isn't a bad drink. Just comparing it to other Graham's.....it's an odd duck.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

Thank-you all for your fulsome response.

Derek; I think you have hit the nail on the head, apart from the spirit, but try it again in a more generous mood and without the distraction of other ports around it. I still have a splash left so I shall consider the spirit further. I have little experience of the 77 apart from this and the Croft and Warre, The Croft has been fantastic from one source and so-so from another. The Warre has been erratic to my taste and in that sense untrustworthy.

Moses; I loved the line about the scenic route to maturity, an exellent summation of my experience of the 77. I certainly love the Graham eighty-five very dearly and you are probably right about the overall quality of the respective vintages. And I shall cry myself to sleep every night until you post a tasting note similar to mine on the bottle you have just opened.

Andy; Yes it is a queer fish. Perhaps I have a fondness for the queer fish among us. I find it idiosyncratic, which makes me love it more. Am I correct? I have no idea. But I trust my emotional response to a port much more than my palate, it has proved more reliable.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

Oh and Daniel; there is still plenty at Berrys.

Only teasing, you would be very welcome, even unto half my kingdom. A well stored bottle from a reliable source? I could not swear to this. Bought from 'The County Stores' Taunton, the storage was not perfect but they generally taste fine. Did I mention that many years ago I bought an 88 Romanee St. Vivant, DRC for £80 from them? Those were the days; 'the old order changeth and yields place to new...'
mosesbotbol

Post by mosesbotbol »

'77 Grahams has been poured back into the bottle and we are heading off shortly. Not sure what I am bringing for a dry wine.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

Even the end of this bottle ain't too spirity. Big apple nose now.

And where's the tasting note for the next bottle? I am still crying myself to sleep and I am tired of a pillow wet with tears.
mosesbotbol

Post by mosesbotbol »

LGTrotter wrote:Even the end of this bottle ain't too spirity. Big apple nose now.

And where's the tasting note for the next bottle? I am still crying myself to sleep and I am tired of a pillow wet with tears.
The spirit showed itself after 8 hours yet was smooth. I found this vintage a little on the flabby side. Not as good as 80-85 Grahams, but I'd put this on the top 3rd for the '77 vintage.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Posts relating to Moses' bottle have been copied to a new thread so that it shows up in the index.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn