1977 Delaforce

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
AW77
Morgan 1991

1977 Delaforce

Post by AW77 »

D+0h: smells of raisins, D+6h: garnet red, smells ethereal of eucalyptus, some caramel as well, in the mouth: medium-body, still some fruit left, more half-dry/semi-sweet, some pepper on the palate, finish of sufficient length (ca. 15 sec), quite a lovely port (also without any wine faults such as TCA which, according to wine literature, is a problem with this vintage), 90 p.
I was surprised that it was still so youthful. I tasted the undeclared '77 Cockburn a couple of weeks ago and found the Cockburn older and with more varnish notes. So I braced myself for a lot of varnish in the nose and the palate (and was pleasantly surprised). Perhaps all this talk in wine literature about the '77 fading is not to be taken too seriously if even a shipper such as Delaforce can hold as firm as that. (But I must admit that I'm just a beginner in port and tasted only the Delaforce and the Cockburn of the '77 vintage).
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: 1977 Delaforce

Post by LGTrotter »

Mosesbotol made a lovely point about the 77s taking the scenic route to maturity elsewhere. They seem to be fading then they come back. I always think Delaforce is a better and more reliable wine than it's reputation. I apologise if I sound like Yoda, (I certainly am not) but; trust you opinions you should. Mmm.. even if a novice you are.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 1977 Delaforce

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I agree with Owen's comment, plus my experience is that the Delaforce 1977 is making for very pleasant drinking at the moment. I've drunk it once or twice per year for the last 2-3 years and it has been consistently enjoyable.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.