1955 Martinez

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
SEAN C.
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

1955 Martinez Vintage Port

Post by SEAN C. »

The 1955 Martinez was surprisingly youthful in the glass, it looked like it was 30 years younger! It had a floral scent of roses mixed with honey and a lot of alcohol. It tasted strongly of fruit, predominantly blackberry, cherry, and green apple. Unfortunately it was still somewhat hot in terms of alcohol even after 3 hours of decanting and 2 hours of tasting. Although drinking very well now the '55 Martinez can easily last another 20 years or more but could have benefited from additional decanting time.
A 15 second finish.
The Martinez was a great bottle and at half the price of the '55 Graham, and one third the Fonseca it was a real bargain. I wish I could find more!

Sean C. 94/100
Moses B. 91/100
Joe M. 96/100

Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

That scented flowers smell does seem a common trait with the better Martinez's.
SEAN C.
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by SEAN C. »

No idea..this was the first and last Martinez in my collection..we all thought flowers and rubbing alcohol on the nose.. I wouldn't hesitate to buy more Martinez though..it was an excellent bottle.