1963 Croft

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

1963 Croft

Post by jdaw1 »

Decanted at 2pm for the annual Acker Merrall BYOB party, this year to be held at Maloney & Porcelli, starting 7pm today. For quality-control purposes a small sample was drawn two hours after decanting. More transparent than I would have liked, though the hue satisfactorily brick-red. The heat very noticeable during decanting has gone, leaving a soft port smell without noticeable oddities. Candied sugar, maybe. In the mouth the heat returns, very strongly, but after that has faded the length is excellent. Tasting of long soft old port: no spice; well-melded sugar; no particular fruit; no must; and, right at the end, deliciously sticky. Entirely satisfactory.

SEAN C.
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by SEAN C. »

I love the '63 Croft and have had it many times usually it's a hit with everyone and the price on the bottles is decent as well! I'm sure I'll be having another bottle soon along with a few others :wink: but
I'm curious to hear the final results on your '63 Julian.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

1986 d’Yquem

Post by jdaw1 »

These BYOB parties are all about sharing. So I put in one my glasses a goodly measure of C63, and shared the bottle with many. A small sip suggested that, since the quality-control sample, it had become richer and had lost its heat. Very good.

Later in the evening, long after the only bottle of port in the room had been emptied, and as I was about to enjoy my port, I heard a rumour of a different table with multiple vintages of d’Yquem. My glass of port was exchanged for the end of their 1986 d’Y. So I don’t really know in full how the port developed.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Suggestion of decanting time

Post by Axel P »

Julian,

could you please give me an advice about decanting time on this, because the C63 is my christmas-port this year.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

C63: Six to eight hours would have been perfect.

Post by jdaw1 »

Six to eight hours would have been perfect.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: C63: Six to eight hours would have been perfect.

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Six to eight hours would have been perfect.
I agree with this. The Croft 63 that Simon Lisle and I shared last month was decanted for around this length of time.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

A wonderful port as are most Croft vintages. We had a 63 horizontal a few months ago and Croft lagged a little behind Taylor and Fonseca, but we did open the Croft a few hours later. I have had the 63 Croft 24+ and it was still showing pretty well; soften but not dead.