1960 Croft

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

1960 Croft

Post by jdaw1 »

Wednesday 8th January 2014, at The Bung Hole, because Ronnie Roots was visiting London.

Links:
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 1960 Croft

Post by jdaw1 »

Cr60 (‘WPS’), being Wolfgang’s ‘house port’. Decanted 4pm. Red to pink at edge, 50% opaque. Cherries on the nose. Red cherry fruit. Heat. Dryness late. Later in the evening marmalade appeared, and I wrote ‟slightly over-mature”. Grade-A port, and one of my three equal WOTNs. As we had been told that this was the bringer’s house port, and I knew that that was, I did not guess.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Mature red with a lovely core, 50% opaque. Wonderful nose, lively and attractive red cherry and redcurrant. Soft entry, gentle sweet fruit arrives slowly and with lovely layering and development. There is a strong acidic streak at the core of this port and soft tannins that supports the palate becoming quite lively. Very, very long and persistent finish with a lovely wood-dust edge to it. This will probably still improve with a little more cellar time. 89/100. Decanted 11 hours.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

jdaw1 wrote:Cr60 (‘WPS’), being Wolfgang’s ‘house port’. Decanted 4pm. Red to pink at edge, 50% opaque. Cherries on the nose. Red cherry fruit. Heat. Dryness late. Later in the evening marmalade appeared, and I wrote ‟slightly over-mature”. Grade-A port, and one of my three equal WOTNs. As we had been told that this was the bringer’s house port, and I knew that that was, I did not guess.
Thanks for the flattering comments, but it sadly is sadly no longer my house port since my stash has been heavily decimated. :lol:

Very good port! Nice mature and still has legs!

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Attractive nose of plum, half dried cherries and dried violets, together with some dark chocolate. On the palate: sweet figs and cherries, plum and a slightly peppery finish. Long finish. Very pleasant and surprisingly good port. It does go flat with prolonged time in the glass however.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

RonnieRoots wrote:Attractive nose of plum, half dried cherries and dried violets, together with some dark chocolate. On the palate: sweet figs and cherries, plum and a slightly peppery finish. Long finish. Very pleasant and surprisingly good port. It does go flat with prolonged time in the glass however.
I'm trying to imagine the scenario where this would be in my glass for a prolonged time!
Nope. Not there yet.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...