1985 Ramos Pinto

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

1985 Ramos Pinto

Post by jdaw1 »

Having rather enjoyed the Ramos Pinto at my 1985 horizontal in March, I bought Soho Wines’ entire stock, that being a mere three bottles, for the trifling sum of $55 each.

Cork extracted easily with screwpull. Decanted through muslin, with lots of purple mixed with red, a modicum of fine sediment, and a fine nose. In the glass the colour was slightly more purple that the picture below renders on my Mac, but it captures the richness of the red.
Nosing and tasting of lots of luscious fruit. The mouth-fell slightly oily—but in a good way, like mango or lychee—and luscious.

Some five hours, two bottles of London Pride and a picnic in the park later, it was slightly less fruitily rich in the mouth. But still great mouthfeel, Parker-style fruit bomb, and a lovely bottle. Second glass picture shows, correctly, no change in the colour.

Conclusions:
  • RP85 = :-)
  • Short decanting time
Also see later tasting of RP85 in July 2007.
Last edited by jdaw1 on 19:27 Thu 19 Jul 2007, edited 1 time in total.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Great tn, jdaw1

Sounds like you got yourself a great buy. Great to see the colour and the cork. You have now set the new standard for TPF TNs !
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

RP85 at T+30H

Post by jdaw1 »

The following day, from an unchilled decanter that alas seemed to be empty after pouring but one glass: still a fine port with good tannins and mouth-fillingness. Better on day 1 though.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: RP85 at T+30H

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:from an unchilled decanter that alas seemed to be empty after pouring but one glass:
Amazing, I thought that only happened to me :shock:

I think there may be some port fairy's [sorry] out there who keep draining our decanters :?

Derek
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

You might or might not be a fairy, even of the port variety.

Post by jdaw1 »

Derek T. wrote:I think there may be some port fairy's [sorry] out there who keep draining our decanters
You might or might not be a fairy, even of the port variety. But this is a family bulletin board so we don’t want to be told. ;-)
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Rule 25: No Mythicalcreatureism :wink:
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

could other posters of TN consider themselves encouraged to…

Post by jdaw1 »

Good reply.

Back to the main subject, please could other posters of TN consider themselves encouraged to include photographs of bottle, cork, and—most importantly—port.