1991 Graham

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1991 Graham's Vintage Port

Post by DRT »

First bottle from a case of 12 purchased this month from Seckford Wines, all in perfect condition in owc.

On Decanting
Dark purple red with a pink rim. Huge liquorice aroma that (for my nose) is typical Graham's. No heat in the first sip but then the bottle only came out of the cooler 20 minutes ago so still rather cold. Very subdued at this point, again possibly due to temperature.

+3 Hours
Slightly cloudy in the glass, probably due to rushed standing/decanting but not enough to spoil. Big strawberry and chocolate smell. Huge burst of fruit followed by cheek sucking tannins then a long dry finish. Mouth feel is very thick, you could almost chew this wine! There is an unmistakeable "young port" smell. I have only picked this up previously on bottles less than 5 years old.

+15 Hours
No longer cloudy. A small amount of sediment is lying around the bottom of the decanter so bad decanting was the problem. Young port smell has blown off, now blackcurrant. Strawberry jam taste and tannins seem to have softened considerably. Very smooth now with a long fruity finish. Still no heat showing at any stage. By far the best showing out of the 3 so far.

+28 Hours
Soft and smooth blackcurrent but then a slight bitterness and small amount of heat in the finish. Seems to be passed the peak.

+54 Hours
Big fruit hit on the nose in the decanter - marzipan in the glass. Chocolate and cherry has returned and mouth feel seems to have become thicker again. No bitterness or heat. Good long finish. Very satisfying.

15 hours was definately the best followed by 54 hours. I can't remember what I had been eating just before the 28 hour tasting but it may explain the blip.
Overtired and emotional
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Overtired and emotional »

On Wednesday evening, decanted my first bottle from a case bought a year or so ago. After 24 hours it was opening out but with rather a harsh aftertaste. After 48 hours, it had blossomed. Lots of fruit, very full but not particularly deep. A good deep colour. The edge was going away. I am looking forward to this evening's tasting.

This does not feel like a wine which will make old bones, but does promise to be an agreeable drink for a few years.
It may be drivel, but it's not meaningless.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Good timing ont he notes..i just got a few of these in the mail (hold over from summer buys that are now shipping).
Overtired and emotional
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Overtired and emotional »

Andy,

It was better still on Saturday and still fine on Sunday when this bottle and I bade each other farewell. Not a blockbuster, but a thoroughly agreeable port.

John
It may be drivel, but it's not meaningless.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Based on you guy's notes, it seems that this is still on the young side and has plenty of life left in it. When do you think it will hit its peak stride?
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

When I last encountered this one I was impressed by it's quality and maturity - but I think it will mature some more.

I'm increasingly convinced that in the long term, '91 is going to trounce '92 as a vintage year...

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill