1997 Quinta do Vesuvio

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

1997 Quinta do Vesuvio Vintage Port

Post by RonnieRoots »

Concentrated nose with dark fruit, mint and dark chocolate. Very smooth, good concentration, fresh fruit, chocolate and tobacco flavours. Soft tannins and a sweet, yummy finish. Not too complex, but an utter joy to drink. We drank this over two days and it was very constant throughout. 91 points, solid.

It was a great match with the 72% chocolate from Tony Chocolonely.
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

Hi Ronnie,

thanks for the note, very helpfull.

Chocolate: When you' ll be next time in Germany, I would recommend to go to an Aldi-shop and look for the chocolate "Moser-Roth, 70%". I like this one a lot, delicous with an Espresso from my La Cimbali M30. This chocolate has best QPR ever! IMO Valrhona (at tripple of price) is not far better.

Cheers
Michael
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I'll give it a try soon! What I really like about Tony Chcolonely is that it is 100% slave-free. It's an enterprise started by a Dutch television maker, who did an investigation about chocolate some years ago. He found out that none of the existing chocolate brands could guarantee that no slaves were used making the chocolate. This triggered him to make his own, top quality, slave-free chocolate. And I must admit, it's really good.
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

I also perfer fair-trade products. But the quality must be given, just as you described with Tony Chocolonely. I do not have any experience in fair trade chocolate. But concerning to coffee, there are many products far from the top .
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port