1983 Wine Society

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DaveRL
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

1983 Wine Society

Post by DaveRL »

Time to give a tasting note a go!
Decant: 5 Hrs. Deep slightly faded red. Bit closed on the nose. Strawberries and blackberries. A little black pepper. Tastes of cherries and blackberries. Good acidity. Substantial. A hint of something woody - almost the taste of old faded spice! Black pepper and red fruits on fairly long finish. Alcohol well integrated. Good, overall. Scope to get better. Hesitate to score - but have to start somewhere - 89.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: 1983 Wine Society

Post by LGTrotter »

A very good note, thanks.

Would you buy another one based on this? I am thinking of buying a few but remain unconvinced.
CaliforniaBrad
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by CaliforniaBrad »

Any chance of a picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DaveRL

Post by DaveRL »

I would buy some more. It isn't a fantastic port, but has been well stored (I think) and given that is a sensible enough price. I could spend more on something that should be better but has been poorly stored, and end up with worse. I don't have many ports from 80s, so getting a couple seems sensible. I doubt I would if I already had better bottles in my cellar, nor if some better 80s of good provenance at sensible prices reared their heads above the parapet.

I'll post a photo shortly.
DaveRL

Post by DaveRL »

Photo
Attachments
1983 Wine Society.jpg
1983 Wine Society.jpg (89.44 KiB) Viewed 5697 times
CaliforniaBrad
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by CaliforniaBrad »

Thanks! Not a bottling that really gets to the states, so cool to see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

Thanks for the response, I can't help thinking you have damned it with faint praise. I will probably do what I usually do and vacillate until they run out of stock. I would not be surprised if they have quite a bit of this so I have some time to think.
DaveRL

Post by DaveRL »

Ah. Yes. I have, haven't I. Impetuosity got the better of me, but I still think it wasn't a ridiculous buy. I noticed in the '83 tasting write up back in November that it held its own against the likes of Dow, Fonseca and Taylor which currently cost similar or more retail. To be honest, I think the cheap, simple and fairly flexible storage at The Wine Society swayed it! Now I really think about it, the Offley Boa Vista (I see offered for £42 at a couple of shops) might be even better value?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DaveRL wrote:Time to give a tasting note a go!
Thank you. Worth doing.
LGTrotter wrote:A very good note, thanks.
Agreed. Double-worth doing.