1957 Niepoort Colheita (bottled 1973)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1957 Niepoort Colheita (bottled 1973)

Post by DRT »

Consumed at this offline on 11 Oct 07

Believed bottled in 1973

Decanted 12 hours
I bought this on Ebay some time ago and had promised to share it with Roy Hersh at some point during the 50th anniversary of his Vintage. This was a very composed wine, no heat, no harsh edges, just very smooth and viscous. Declared wine of the night by Nicos with no disagreement form the rest of us.

Decanted 66 Days
Yes, 66 days :shock: - I found the N57C bottle in my kithchen cupboard tonight. It still had the T-cork in it that I had used when transporting the bottle to the offline. I was pleased to discover that there was still a small amount of port left in the bottle. Enough for about one third of a glass :D

Ths mouthfeel was thick and incredibly smooth. Delicious caramel flavours with no flaws whatsoever and no heat. The finish was incredibly long. My cheeks were still watering 4 or 5 minutes after tasting it.

This is the first time I have tasted a Colhieta that has been open this long. This is very sturdy stuff 88)

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

I'm working my way through the Xmas offline's leftovers, and I've yet to clock any obvious deterioration.

To minimise aeration I'm resisting the temptation to have 'a bit of this and a bit of that' but I have done another comparison of the two Roriz LBV's today, finding it a close call, but with a marginal preference for the bottle over the cask sample - but not enough of a difference to draw any serious conclusions - I suspect the bottling was done without any clever gagetry..

I'm planning to save the last of the F20 and W27 for Xmas eve, when they will be joined by a freshly decanted W47.

In the meantime, the last of the LBV's has just been drunk - I shall now refill my glass from the remains of the Offlley '83..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill