Is it me, or does someone need to say something..?

Anything to do with Port.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Is it me, or does someone need to say something..?

Post by uncle tom »

I used to enoy the Graham/Malvedos site..

..no more

All we get now is a diet of gushing self praise, and the latest effort - a visit by an American (supposedly celeb..) chef - is pure trash..

I thought about leaving a subtle (and very polite) note on the 'leave a comment' bit - but it doesn't work..

Come on guys, you've done so much better in the past and can do it again - serious port drinkers don't do 'Hello' magazine..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Is it me, or does someone need to say something..?

Post by jdaw1 »

The tone and content have become less educational and more promotional, alas.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

I am in no way saying it's right or wrong to change the tone of the site. I will say, we are the minority in wanting more technical geeky stuff. The majority of people aren't as serious as we are and like all that flashy superfluous stuff. Frustrating, yes.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

uncle tom wrote: serious port drinkers don't do 'Hello' magazine..
Or at least don't own to it on this forum.

It is rather short term to just put marketing spiel on these sites. Whenever I come to such a site on any subject I tend to pass on rather than linger. Even novices know when they are under the marketing pump. If they want people to stay and come back they need to feel they learned something.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

jdaw1 wrote:The tone and content have become less educational and more promotional, alas.
But surely this is purely educational!
[url=http://blog.grahams-port.com/2014/03/30/grahams-2013-harvest-tasting-the-ports-for-the-first-time/]Here[/url] Graham's blog wrote:Charles explains that Six Grapes is so special that you only very rarely come across a wine of sufficient quality to make it. If you go looking for Six Grapes, you won’t find it: it is something that you come across while you’re not looking – and it doesn’t happen very often.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

RonnieRoots wrote:But surely this is purely educational!
[url=http://blog.grahams-port.com/2014/03/30/grahams-2013-harvest-tasting-the-ports-for-the-first-time/]Here[/url] Graham's blog wrote:Charles explains that Six Grapes is so special that you only very rarely come across a wine of sufficient quality to make it. If you go looking for Six Grapes, you won’t find it: it is something that you come across while you’re not looking – and it doesn’t happen very often.
LOL. I remember reading that very paragraph and thinking "what a load of drivel." Meaningless drivel, in fact.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

LOL. I remember reading that very paragraph and thinking "what a load of drivel." Meaningless drivel, in fact.
Yes, indeed.

Every successful wine maker needs one vital ingredient - a loyal army of informed yet unpaid ambassadors, who are happy to back your cause.

If you produce press puffs that make the enthusiast cringe, your most valuable troops will quietly defect to the other side..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

uncle tom wrote:
Yes, indeed.

Every successful wine maker needs one vital ingredient - a loyal army of informed yet unpaid ambassadors, who are happy to back your cause.

If you produce press puffs that make the enthusiast cringe, your most valuable troops will quietly defect to the other side..
Well, they may just grumble and carry on buying it because they like regardless of the PR rubbish..!
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
CaliforniaBrad
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by CaliforniaBrad »

flash_uk wrote:
RonnieRoots wrote:But surely this is purely educational!
Haha, is there meaningful drivel? :-P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk