1920 Fonseca

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1920 Fonseca vintage port

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Faded in colour, light centre, hint of green on the rim. Elegant and delicate nose with tangerines and rose perfume. Gentle entry, sliding into your mouth and bringing lovely, gentle sweet citrus notes. Such balance and elegance. Some bitterness in the midpalate, but this fades away to be replaced again with sweet marmalade. Loads of development and complexity. An aftertaste that makes you close your eyes and enjoy the sensations; floral and yet more elegance. Very Fonseca with all that feminine charm. A "decent port" as someone else described it. 94/100.
Last edited by Alex Bridgeman on 17:59 Mon 17 Dec 2007, edited 1 time in total.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

This was the star of the night for me. Incredible freshness, with benchmark Fonseca floral notes, great complexity and elegance. What joy. 96 points.
Lady Roots
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by Lady Roots »

I would like to add that I was absolutely surprised how lifely it was. Such nice citrus and floral tones!!!!!

No problem guessing this was a Fonseca...
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

I've still got a drop left - when I've polished off the last dregs of all the others, it'll be the last to go...

BTW - Despite having been decanted for 8 days now, I've not clocked any significant deterioration amongst the leftovers - but I am finishing them one at a time to minimise aeration, and am keeping them in the cellar.

Xmas eve will see an interesting mini vertical, as the remains of the W27 go head to head with a W47

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill