1912 Cockburn

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1912 Cockburn vintage port

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

At Stevie's request, I am now posting my tasting notes from the TPF Christmas offline on December 15, 2007. Hopefully others will add their impressions in due course.

Decanted 6 hours.

This port put on substantial colour since decanting, now an orange rim and a mid-red centre. Still significant bottle stink and alcohol and a lot of discussion about whether there was a smell to this wine that is associated with leaking bottles (this bottle had been seeping and is why it was chosen for tonight). After sitting in the glass for a while, tertiary brown sugar smells appeared. Nicely entry with an elegant balance between sweet fruit sugars and structuring acidity. Bitter coffee on the edge of the tongue and caramel / toffee in the centre, changing in the mouth until you reach a lovely Seville orange. A glowing aftertaste that reminded me of the few times I have ended up (accidentally) chewing on Earl Grey tea leaves. 93/100.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Maybe, this port was fading slightly, and maybe it had some characteristics of leaking on the nose, but it was still very much enjoyable and ever so special to drink. After this was revealed as Cockburn, I immediately recognised that dark, almost tarry, aroma that I always associate with Cockburn, but never seem to pick up when I'm guessing the producer. 92 points.