1980 Smith Woodhouse

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1980 Smith Woodhouse Vintage Port

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Opened on 31 October 2007 and drunk after 8 hours in the decanter.

Very deep red, opaque centre and very dark rim. Nose still holds some primary blackcurrant. The initial entry into the mouth is sweet but a wave of tannin comes through, to be replaced in turn by the blackcurrant cordial that is promised on the nose. The aftertaste takes a while to come into focus, but then resolves itself into a dark cherry chocolate that lasts a long time. A surprisingly young wine that will continue to improve and will be better in a decade. Some had this as the wine of the night. 7-8 or 91/100.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
bman
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by bman »

Tasted last week, from a half bottle. After a mere 3 hours in the decanter, medium body, medium sweet. Colour a little lighter than expected, though the wine was still rich and classier, more so than I recalled from my only previous bottles about 6 years ago.

I tasted dark chocolate, alcohol-infused maraschino cherries (like I used to get in my Black Russians, before I gave up spirts for wine and port!) and moccachino.

On the second day it was pinker and lighter, and some heat that was apparent the previous day was gone. I think I liked it better on day two..

I liked this wine much better than the one or two other 1980s I've had, perhaps this vintage is peaking? I don't think it will improve much if any, and it may not last beyond another 5 years, though who knows?

I score this 91 points.