'92 LBV past it?

Anything to do with Port.
Sideways
Fonseca Bin 27

'92 LBV past it?

Post by Sideways »

I was planning on opening one of my Warre's LBV's this weekend, I have one '92 left plus a bunch of '95's. I was thinking, maybe I should leave the '92 for a few more years and see what happens, it could be the last time I see a '92 as, from what I have seen, the stores that stock it are all on the '95 now.

Although the Warre's LBV is considered to be one of the better LBV's, how long do think an LBV can remain in bottle before it begins to deteriorate? when will it peak and when do you think the '92 will be 'past it'?

Thanks
G.
Vintage Shmintage.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

That's a really tough question to answer because I think it depends very much on your personal preference. I love elderly ports that are full of tertiary character and where much of the fruit has faded into sweet sugary tones.

I have had LBVs from the '60s in the last couple of years and have thought them wonderful. Others who were with me at the time have dismissed the same port as tired and faded, hardly worth drinking.

Personally, I would keep the '92 LBV as much because it's the last bottle as for any other reason. Set it aside, leave it for a decade or two, and drink your way through the '95s (which seem to be running out now) and the '99s while waiting. In 20 years time you'll be able to say which of the two camps you fall into - those who like 40 year old LBV or those who don't.

My two pennies worth.

Alex
Last edited by Alex Bridgeman on 21:23 Thu 20 Dec 2007, edited 1 time in total.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Sideways
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Sideways »

Thanks Alex, I think I will do that, put the last '92 away for another day, at least give it 20 yrs (2012) hey! I I could call it my Olympic wine, will it be a medal winner or an in-the-biner? :wink:
Vintage Shmintage.