1995 Barros Colheita (bottled 2008)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
WineLoverPT
Warre’s Warrior

1995 Barros Colheita (bottled 2008)

Post by WineLoverPT »

(Bottled in 2008)

My first tasting note, and my first Colheita.

Most ports I've tried to date have changed quite a lot after first decanting.
This changed very little over 48 hours - if anything, it lost a little heat after about 4 hours - but there wasn't much there to start with.
A little cloudy, and the colour of strong tea. Some fruit, but really quite sweet and syrupy - rich rounded caramel, not dissimilar to a sweet Madeira. Long finish.
I don't really feel competent to provide a points score, but if I did, it would be in the low 80s.

I happened to spy this for 19 euros in a local supermarket, so I thought I'd give it a go.
Frankly, I was disappointed - but it may well just be that this is not my style of Port. I've had (cheap - undated and 10 year) Tawnys that I preferred - they were less sickly with more of an "edge".
AW77
Morgan 1991

Re: 1995 Barros Colheita

Post by AW77 »

Thank you for posting this TN. I think you did a good job and I hope to read more of your TNs in the future.

You probably should give Colheitas a second chance. Perhaps you simply like Tawny-style ports that are not that old i.e. not older than 10 or 12 years.
Perhaps you should try this 2003 Krohn Colheita: http://www.garrafeiranacional.com/vinho ... porto.html
I'm thinking of ordering one to try the next time I order at the GN in autumn (so a TN would be most welcome :) )
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port
WineLoverPT
Warre’s Warrior

Post by WineLoverPT »

AW77 wrote:...
You probably should give Colheitas a second chance.
I certainly haven't given up on them - I have another couple in the cellar waiting their turn (although not the Krohn you mention - I'll be in Lisbon in 9 days time and, if I pass a wine shop that has it, I'll pick up a bottle).
It being my first, I simply have no idea if this was "typical" colheita, "typical" Barros, "typical" 1995, or simply that this is "1995 Barros Colheita". It may even have been a slightly bad bottle.

I will continue to collect evidence, and add notes where none currently exist.
WineLoverPT
Warre’s Warrior

Post by WineLoverPT »

2003 Krohn Colheita duly purchased - it's in the decanter now and I will report back in a few days.
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

Thanks. I'm looking forward to your TN.
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port