2005 Quinta do Portal

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
WineLoverPT
Warre’s Warrior

2005 Quinta do Portal

Post by WineLoverPT »

A while ago the wife spotted a "25% of all port" coupon from our local supermarket, so I went on a bit of a "raid", and this was one of the hostages I took - 30 euros (minus 25%).
A few days ago I spotted that they still had it on the shelves, so I cracked is open with a view to determining whether it was worth getting a few more for the cellar (without the 25% off, alas).

Decanted at midday: Not much in the nose, blackberry coloured - pleasantly fruity but light - a little heat, but mainly on the swallow.
D + 4 hours: More fruit now, and a little more heat - not a heavyweight, to be sure, but rich and round - still something of a "burn" on the way down.
D + 10: (My contemporaneous note says...) Wow! - it's thickened up, more fruit - I've been thinking this was a 30 euro "learning experience", but things are looking up - hot at the finish still, but now a pretty nice drink.
D + 24: Smoothed off - even richer fruit flavours - more in the nose - nice warmth in the mouth - still a little hot on the swallow.
D + 30: At its peak, I think - reminds me of some of the young LBVs I've been drinking recently - thick, fruits, warm - long finish.
D + 48: Thinner now - fruit starting to fade

Should I get some more, that is the question.