2003 Krohn Colheita (bottled 2013)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
WineLoverPT
Warre’s Warrior

2003 Krohn Colheita (bottled 2013)

Post by WineLoverPT »

(Bottled in 2013)
(Thanks to AW77, who suggested I try this one)

17.50 euros from Garrafeira Nacional in Lisbon

Decanted at midday: Fiery hot. Red/brown - some sweetness, some fruit, but it's hard to taste past the burning sensations
D + 4 hours: Intense heat has faded. Rich, thick, not as fruity as the recent LBVs I've been trying
D + 8 hours: Deeper flavour now, some fruit, figs, caramel
D + 24 hours: Nicely round and smooth now, if a little sweet and thick - acceptable heat on the swallow
D + 32 hours: Putting on weight now, thickening up - some leather, not fruity, some heat dissipated - decent finish - hard to believe this is the same Port as that which I decanted
D + 48 hours: Some heat has returned, but somehow it seems more part of the drink rather than an optional extra now.
D + 56 hours: Very smooth, rich, luscious drink - fruit with a caramel chaser, but not lasting long.

Summary: I enjoyed this - perhaps not quite as much as the Graham 2008 LBV or Burmester 2007 LBV, but plenty acceptable, and, at this price, it's not a stretch. I bought the last bottle from that particular Garrafeira Nacional, but perhaps they have more stock - if so, I'll get another one or 2 and see how it changes over the next 5 years or so.
AW77
Morgan 1991

Re: 2003 Krohn Colheita

Post by AW77 »

Thanks for the detailed tasting note. I think I will include a bottle in my next order at the GN. It's still avaiable on their website so there should be enough for both of us.
You really seem to prefer ruby style ports, so I would suggest you try the 2003 Warre unfiltered LBV next. You can get it at the GN for 18,60. There are some TNs for other vintages of this port on the forum, but you could be the first to post one for the 2003.
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port
WineLoverPT
Warre’s Warrior

Re: 2003 Krohn Colheita

Post by WineLoverPT »

AW77 wrote:...so I would suggest you try the 2003 Warre unfiltered LBV next. You can get it at the GN for 18,60...
Thanks for the suggestion - I'm in Lisbon in a couple of weeks time, and I'll try to score a bottle (or 2).

The guy in GN gave me a somewhat strange look when I walked in, went straight to the shelves and picked this (I'm guessing somewhat obscure) one out and went straight to pay - I think he was wondering if I knew something he didn't, or if the price tag was missing a digit. Had I not been with friends (and the wife, who doesn't seem to like the amount of time I spend in wine shops these days) I would have stayed a lot longer.
Feel free to throw other ideas in my direction - my methods of choosing are currently just pot luck.