1994 Vista Alegre Colheita

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
WineLoverPT
Warre’s Warrior

1994 Vista Alegre Colheita

Post by WineLoverPT »

Bottled in 2003 - stopper style cork - 24.43 euros

Decanted at 10am: Colour of very pale earl grey tea - very clear - not much in the nose - very light taste - hint of fruit, some heat, but not excessive
D + 8: I’m not really getting the whole “Colheita” thing - this tastes more like a mix of madeira, sherry, and moscatel - almost like a very alcoholic mead - it’s not an unpleasant drink, but if I were wearing a blindfold I don’t think I’d be saying “port” at this point.
D + 12: it’s darkened up a bit - stewed earl grey now, thickened up a bit - quite a throat hit - dried fruits like figs, sultanas - interesting right now, but i wouldn’t be ordering it at the end of a meal in a restaurant
D + 24: Aside from the feeling one might be able to breathe fire out of one’s nose, this isn’t too bad now - nice density, nice finish - still very much at the madeira end of things
D + 36: So I’m trying to change my viewpoint, throw away preconceptions about what "port" is, forgetting all the fruit based ports and see this as a new drink - long legs, smooth, thick, slightly sweet, heat in the right places - if a case of this washed up on a desert island, I’d smile and be thankful (even more thankful for the stoppered closure) - short finish though.
D + 48: (yes, I have tasted this port 3 times at 10am) This is a nice drink now - the flavours and heat are nicely balanced and, whilst I can appreciate that, I'd take some of the LBVs over this in a heartbeat - I think I prefer "red" rather than "brown" port. I have a few more colheitas in the cellar, so the jury does not yet need to decide.