1952 Graham Single Harvest Tawny (bottled 2012)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1952 Graham Single Harvest Tawny (bottled 2012)

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

A bottle bought on release in 2012 via Berry Brothers (sole UK agents) and stored in a wine fridge since release. Golden brown in colour, clear and attractive. Muted nose, smelling of marzipan and shredded laurel leaves. Thick in texture, rich and luscious. Powerful palate of mandarin and orange blosson honey but with an immense acidity giving a terrific freshness. Huge aftertaste of Nescafe coffee and a massive aftertaste that goes through uncountable phases and lasts several minutes. This is a massive port, really rich and fabulous, but is certainly a sipping port and not a quaffing port. Brilliant stuff. 94/100. Drunk 15-Jun-14. Pop 'n' pour.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Re: 1952 Graham colheita

Post by djewesbury »

'Colheita'?
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I needed something that would not spoil over a two week lull in being at home and drinking.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

djewesbury wrote:'Colheita'?
I think Daniel was querying that you called it Colheita instead of Single Harvest Tawny. In any case, as some people are aware, I also think this is absolutely fabulous port, and the best of the SHTs - despite being the highest priced (ignoring Ne Oublie), I also think it is the best value for money of the SHTs also; delicious.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

PhilW wrote:
djewesbury wrote:'Colheita'?
I think Daniel was querying that you called it Colheita instead of Single Harvest Tawny. In any case, as some people are aware, I also think this is absolutely fabulous port, and the best of the SHTs - despite being the highest priced (ignoring Ne Oublie), I also think it is the best value for money of the SHTs also; delicious.
Yes, you're right re my query.
And I can vouch for Phil's love for this port!
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

The category of Port is Colheita. "Single Harvest Tawny" is just marketing frou-frou because people in England are apparently allergic to non-English terms on their labels.

If you look closely at the label you'll see that it does, in fact, say Colheita on there also as required by regulation.
Glenn Elliott