2008 Pingo Doce LBV

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
WineLoverPT
Warre’s Warrior

2008 Pingo Doce LBV

Post by WineLoverPT »

Continuing my research into "Best Supermarket own brand LBV under 10 euros" (Soon to be seen in a bookstore near you - I'm negotiating the film rights even as we speak), I present...

Pingo Doce. Stopper style cork.
8.49 euros
Symington

Decanted at 6pm: Purple, quite clear - alcoholic nose. Nice drink - quite light and airy, but well balanced between fruit, edge and alcohol.
D + 18: Slightly more heat, particularly in the stomach, but the balance isn’t too far off still.
D + 26: Lots of alcohol in the nose - a pleasant drink - not subtle, forsooth, but jolly.
D + 48: This is holding well - slightly chilled this could almost be described as refreshing. I guess this isn't going to win any prizes (even though it's significantly better than the "Contemporal" which did, in fact, win a prize), but I've really quite enjoyed drinking this one, and, for the price, it's worth my putting a few in the cellar for days when I just fancy a bit of a tipple and don't want to step up to the mediocre stuff.
AW77
Morgan 1991

Re: 2008 Pingo Doce LBV

Post by AW77 »

I wonder if this is the same juice as the say Graham's LBV or if they use lesser wines for this one. Any guesses by the experts around here?
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Interesting that it's bottled 6 years after harvest. Aren't most of the "high end" LBVs bottled after 4 years, or sometimes 5?

(4-6 is legal... you just don't see many bottled after 6 years.)
Glenn Elliott
WineLoverPT
Warre’s Warrior

Post by WineLoverPT »

AW77 wrote:I wonder if this is the same juice as the say Graham's LBV or if they use lesser wines for this one. Any guesses by the experts around here?
I'm certainly no expert, but I've had the Graham's 2008 LBV and, from what I can remember, it was a thicker, richer, creamier drink than this - the notes (from my "simple notes" phase) say - "Very much enjoyed this one - deep, dark, thick, rich, smooth, blackcurrants, with just enough of a hot edge and a decent enough finish."
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

WineLoverPT wrote:I'm certainly no expert, but I've had the Graham's 2008 LBV and, from what I can remember, it was a thicker, richer, creamier drink than this
Then it's very likely not the same juice but a lesser one. Well, it would have been too good to be true: getting the same, but paying less.
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

Glenn E. wrote:Interesting that it's bottled 6 years after harvest.
You seem to have sharper eyes than me. Where does it say that it's bottled 6 years after the harvest?
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

AW77 wrote:
You seem to have sharper eyes than me. Where does it say that it's bottled 6 years after the harvest?
It doesn't. It says 'obrigatoriamente engarrofado entre o quarto e o sexto ano após a vindima', which my Step 3 Portuguese tells me means that LBV has, by law, to be bottled between 4 and 6 years after the harvest = what we already know.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

djewesbury wrote:
AW77 wrote:
It doesn't. It says 'obrigatoriamente engarrofado entre o quarto e o sexto ano após a vindima', which my Step 3 Portuguese tells me means that LBV has, by law, to be bottled between 4 and 6 years after the harvest = what we already know.
Ah yes, Daniel's eyes are even sharper than mine. I missed the first part of that Portuguese. D'ohh!
Glenn Elliott