2006 Calem LBV

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
WineLoverPT
Warre’s Warrior

2006 Calem LBV

Post by WineLoverPT »

Stopper style cork
15.99 euros

Decanted at 1pm: At the red end of purple. Thick, reasonably powerful blackcurrant, decent but not overpowering heat, not much finish.
D + 6: Strange - I poured a small taster - hot hot hot with a side order of hot. 10 minutes later a lot of that heat has gone - there’s still a warm feeling in the stomach, but warm rather than hot. Nice, fruity, still with a somewhat short finish. Ever the scientific investigator, I tried the same again, after dinner - hot until after 10 minutes glass time. I don’t know what, if anything, that indicates.
D + 24: Pretty much as yesterday - nice for a cold winter evening in front of the fire (here in the Alentejo it’s 34°C in the shade right now!)
D + 32: Long, pink legs - just enough of an edge - thick and fruity, but with serious fire in the stomach.
D + 48: Little change - rich and smooth, a little less heat, and without much of a finish.

This is a much more "serious" wine than the 2 previous (supermarket own-brand) LBVs I've had recently, but I think I prefer the Pingo Doce, very slightly, to this.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 2006 Calem LBV

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

When it's as hot as 34C, I quite like a young LBV or VP drunk chilled from the fridge. I find this quite refreshing.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
WineLoverPT
Warre’s Warrior

Post by WineLoverPT »

This is my (un-)patented method ...

One wine decanter, one port decanter in a cool box - a couple of frozen "ice blocks" over a couple of hours brings everything down to a nice temperature - 4 ice blocks if I'm looking to get it colder or it's particularly hot (in the 40s).
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

And very pretty it is too. Cheers!
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...