NV Quinta do Infantado White (Dry White)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
WineLoverPT
Warre’s Warrior

NV Quinta do Infantado White (Dry White)

Post by WineLoverPT »

Stopper style cork
5.99 euros (although I did get 10% off)

Double-decanted at 5pm: Straight from the fridge. The colour of weak acacia blossom honey. Smell that reminds me of super-duper-extraultra-cheapo sweet German white wine that I had once when I was 18 and put me off white wine for, well, let me think, until now really. If this is the dry version I’d really hate to try the sweet! I guess this is a bit like port - pineapple port, perhaps. I’ll try it a little warmer tonight (the bottle says 13°C), otherwise I’ll try it with ice or maybe even a slice of lemon, which is how I like my cheap Moscatel.
Later: OK, perhaps there's some magic that happens at 13°C that doesn't happen at 12 or 14? I sit watching the thermometer in the glass until it hits exactly 13°C. Nope - same yuckiness - like a cheap German white with alcohol added.
Later: I normally look forward to the lunchtime taster - just the merest nip to see how things are developing - but I couldn't bear the thought.
Later: I'm 2 days in now, and there's still about 4/5ths of the bottle left - this, trust me, is not usual.
Later: The scientist in me takes over...

Try it with a slice of lemon - in fact, a slice from the first ever lemon we've picked from our very own lemon tree planted 5 years ago - ruined a perfectly good slice of lemon.
Try it with Absinthe - my "hard liquor" of choice - I went with the 57% rather than the 85% - ruined a perfectly good drop of absinthe - however, let me tell you, this is a potent mixture - but even the green faeries (they were legion) had grimaces on their faces.
Try it with ice - at least that was a cheap experiment.

I start looking for cooking recipes that need white port.

Later: I found that if you add lemon-flavoured water it becomes just about drinkable - not nice but it doesn't make me cringe.

Reading between the lines of this TN you might well think that I didn't like this all that much.
I couldn't possibly comment.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Re: NV Quinta do Infantado Dry White

Post by flash_uk »

Superb TN!
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

I also very much enjoy your TNs. Have you ever thought of doing some Creative Writing?

You could try to use this port for Porto Tonic (like Gin Tonic, but with port instead of gin).
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

AW77 wrote:I also very much enjoy your TNs. Have you ever thought of doing some Creative Writing?

You could try to use this port for Porto Tonic (like Gin Tonic, but with port instead of as well as gin).
I corrected that for you.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

You're really crapulous. :)
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

AW77 wrote:You're really crapulous. :)
I think that is the best post written by a German on this forum ever. It may be the best post written by anyone on this forum ever.
Daniel J.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

djewesbury wrote:
AW77 wrote:You're really crapulous. :)
I think that is the best post written by a German on this forum ever. It may be the best post written by anyone on this forum ever.
And I think the Deutsche Post should commemorate it.
Daniel J.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

But please don't hold back in future tasting notes. If you are so subtle we may not understand how you really feel about a particular port. :D
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

Loved the TN, and agree wrt dry white port - best served with anything you want to ruin (non-dry white port on the other hand can be a beautiful thing).