Daniel’s Pork Pie: The Dream

Other alcoholic drinks, decadent smokes, and hearty eating
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Daniel’s Pork Pie: The Dream

Post by DRT »

I have only eaten horse steak on one occasion - for lunch and dinner for seven consecutive days whilst holidaying in France. No more that 2.5 horses suffered as a result of my holiday.

I have never eaten Aldi lasagne but suspect it is rather nice.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Ireland is full of horses.

Could one make it into a DJPP?
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Rather difficult to procure legally. Silly food (by which I mean crocodile, alligator, ostrich, etc etc) is alas more easy to find than proper, tasty horsemeat.
And I think I don't want to start a sentence here that includes the words 'import' and 'horse'.
Oops, I have.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Can you carry bits of dead horse whilst travelling through open borders within the EU?
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

DRT wrote:Can you carry bits of dead horse whilst travelling through open borders within the EU?
Depends. Different states can impose their own restrictions. NI typically takes a dim view of it (ever since the last Foot & Mouth outbreak). Until very recently they had announcements saying that anyone who had been on a farm had to report to an official at the airport. But always worth trying to smuggle something through, I mean plenty of holidaymakers must do so surely?
I am holding back on so many jokes, because this is a serious thread, and I want people to try my pork-port pies.
Daniel J.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

You could order ingredients from here.

I have already placed an order for 1 x large DGPP.

Please may I order 1 x large DGEMP?
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

DRT wrote:You could order ingredients from here.

I have already placed an order for 1 x large DGPP.

Please may I order 1 x large DGEMP?
DGEMP?
Daniel J.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Derbyshire, I see. Trouble is, if you're paying full retail whack for meat like that, your resultant pie is going to be v v expensive.
Daniel J.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

What is the approximate cost of the ingredients of a DJPP?

What weight of animal bits is required?

I strongly suspect that the regulars of TPF tastings would stump up for a horse, camel, crocodile, impala, zebra and edible insect pie.

I'm in.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Pork for me please. But the question about costs was sensible.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Pork for me please. But the question about costs was sensible.
Is your implied objection on the basis of squeamishness or conservationism? Or something else?

Whilst I would not wish to eat an endangered species pie I think that those listed on the site linked to are sustainable species and therefore available "game".
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:Is your implied objection on the basis of squeamishness or conservationism? Or something else?
Choose one:

1. Dear Symingtons: I like your Graham and Dow Ports, a lot, so please use those grapes and your time and effort to make Champagne.

2. I like what you do. Please do it more.

I like Daniel’s Pork Pies. Should I become over-PP’d, I might request different. Until when, my Pork Pie cellar is not full.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

djewesbury wrote:So, who's ordering a pork pie then? Nothing will be made until September as I'm not in my kitchen until then. I can do medium or large. I do not do small.
Most definitely; medium size preferred for me. Bonus pies with game, apple or black pudding welcome.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Hello again porksters. When I used to sell these pies to Rachel's boat, for their platters, I would sell the 4" round ones for about £4 - £5, negotiable, depending on how many I'd made and what the outlay on the ingredients was (buying the meat through their butcher meant a discount on my materials). This included only a very minimal percentage for my labour and I don't think I was making a profit particularly. The main ingredient of the pie is pork shoulder, which is chopped not minced, by hand. Just that bit takes some time. I would base my other quantities of ingredients around the amount of pork shoulder I had, make up a mix and make as many pies as I could with that. Then there's the jelly, which is made from scratch, in advance, by making a slow-cooked stock with the most collagenous cuts you can find (usually trotters). The stock can be made in a large batch and frozen (ice-cube bags are particularly handy). The pastry is the easy bit; but the time-consuming element is the cooking and filling: cook for a couple of hours, turn out, cool, glaze, return to the oven, allow to cool slightly, fill with stock, chill overnight.

The large pies I think I have only made as gifts; I am consulting as we speak to verify whether any has ever been sold by me.

If only a mathematician could tell me:
  • assuming a mix based on 1 kg of pork shoulder (before other cuts / ingredients added) could make about 3½ to 4 4"/10 cm round pies (where the tin is about 9 cm high) ;
  • bearing in mind that the ratio pastry : meat will be smaller in a larger tin ;
  • given a tin of internal dimensions approx 23 x 13 x 7 cms (this is guesswork, I don't have the tins here), and pastry with a thickness of approx 1½ cm ;
how much large pie will that quantity of mix produce?

(BTW I have just figured out how to assign a keyboard shortcut, on a Mac, to give me ½, ¼, and ¾, without having to go to the Character Viewer!)
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Delightfully mixed Imperial and metric units.

The medium pie is a circle 3¾″ in diameter, and 3½″ high. Pastry thickness (top, bottom, and sides) is assumed to be ⅗″, so the volume of meat is about π × 1.275″² × 2.3″ ≈ 11¾″″″.

The large pie fills a box about 9″ × 5.1″ × 2¾″ inches, so the volume of meat is about 47⅞″″″, which is just over four times as much meat as a medium.

Please could somebody check that pastry width has been subtracted the correct number of times.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

jdaw1 wrote:
DRT wrote:Is your implied objection on the basis of squeamishness or conservationism? Or something else?
Choose one:

1. Dear Symingtons: I like your Graham and Dow Ports, a lot, so please use those grapes and your time and effort to make Champagne.

2. I like what you do. Please do it more.

I like Daniel’s Pork Pies. Should I become over-PP’d, I might request different. Until when, my Pork Pie cellar is not full.
3. Dear Symingtons: I have heard that you make great Port but have never been so fortunate as to try one. Please keep making Port so that I may some day have that opportunity.

Chopped shoulder. Yum! Over here we call that pork butt and we barbeque it for 12-16 hours to cook it. I will explain why in September at TBH, though those with insufficient patience can probably Google the answer. Some day... I should barbeque some pork butt for Daniel to make into pork pies. THAT would be epic.
Glenn Elliott
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

jdaw1 wrote:Delightfully mixed Imperial and metric units.

The medium pie is a circle 3¾″ in diameter, and 3½″ high. Pastry thickness (top, bottom, and sides) is assumed to be ⅗″, so the volume of meat is about π × 1.275″² × 2.3″ ≈ 11¾″″″.

The large pie fills a box about 9″ × 5.1″ × 2¾″ inches, so the volume of meat is about 47⅞″″″, which is just over four times as much meat as a medium.

Please could somebody check that pastry width has been subtracted the correct number of times.
Does """ = "3?
Daniel J.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Glenn E. wrote:I should barbeque some pork butt for Daniel to make into pork pies. THAT would be epic.
Yes you should. If we discovered a way of getting said butt to me before our meeting I could even try and use it.. but the logistics of that would be fiercely complex I fear.
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

djewesbury wrote:Does """ = "3?
Cubic inches = ″³, yes, but after your comment about special characters I thought it best to use the correct prime character (“″”), rather than the uncurled double quotation mark (“"”).
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

jdaw1 wrote:
djewesbury wrote:Does """ = "3?
Cubic inches, yes, but after your comment about special characters I thought it best to use the correct prime character (“″”), rather than the uncurled double quotation mark (“"”).
I thought about it. Then decided I couldn't be bothered.
88)
Daniel J.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote:9″ × 5.1″ × 2¾″ inches
Tut. Shades of "The TPF" all over again.
jdaw1 wrote:47⅞″″″
Also understandable, but odd; use of ″ for inches is fine, but use of three of them...?
I'm sure I've seen most of "cu in" most commonly, and in3 would seem to be in common use, but not ″″″ or ″3.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:9″ × 5.1″ × 2¾″ inches
Tut. Shades of "The TPF" all over again.
{Sackcloth and ashes}