2002 Quinta do Monte Bravo LBV

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
WineLoverPT
Warre’s Warrior

2002 Quinta do Monte Bravo LBV

Post by WineLoverPT »

Unfiltered
Pull-style cork
Bottled 2006
18.99 Euros

Decanted at midday: Deep purple, red, with the merest hint of orange. Blackcurrants with a side serving of blackcurrants and a blackcurrant chaser in the nose. Oh very nice - smooth, some heat, blackberries, blackcurrants - why is it that almost nothing made of grapes ever tastes like grape? - reasonable finish.
D + 6: Since I really can’t stand brandy (a hangover from an incident at university many many years ago), if ever I’m stranded on a mountain, it would be acceptable to load the St Bernard you send to rescue me with this stuff - thick and gooey, but somehow not syrupy - hard to pick a berry - it’s almost like “generic dark berry” - heat in the stomach, but not much finish.
D + 10: Certain sourness now - not as nice as it was earlier
D + 24: This is back in a better place - the berries, presumably after a night out on the town, have returned - slightly less heat.
D + 32: It’s fully recovered from yesterday’s hissy fit now - but there’s some other flavour there in the background - takes another sip - coffee? - another sip - blueberry? - another sip - nope - and the small, preprandial sampler glass is now empty - more later when it becomes the postprandial tipple.
D + 36: Nose of blackberry & blackcurrant jam. Disappointing finish in the mouth - it’s all in the stomach.

Not a bad drink by any means, but I'm not going to be rushing out to get some more.
AW77
Morgan 1991

Re: 2002 Quinta Do Monte Bravo LBV

Post by AW77 »

WineLoverPT wrote: D + 24: This is back in a better place - the berries, presumably after a night out on the town, have returned
I really like your TNs. Especially for masterstrokes like this one.
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port