1977 Croft

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1977 Croft

Post by LGTrotter »

Returning home from a hot day of helping a mate move house I thought I should offer thanks to the Gods in the usual way, libations.

Having drunk and very much enjoyed this port I bought a case from Berrys when they started doing broking but before BBX. Rather disconcertingly they have "imported by Selviac Nederland B.V. Amsterdam" on little slip labels on the back. And I am not convinced they are quite up to the level of those I bought locally.

It has only been open about an hour.
The colour is very pale, a wide watery rim with a pronounced orange to it, pinky red in the centre.
On the nose I am tempted to say arrowroot, except I'm not sure what it is, so I will say there is something medicinal at the back of it, a nice Christmassy note at the front, nutmeg, cloves.
The palate is high toned, a bit sharp, a bit hot with a touch of astringency on the finish, that orange peel note that others have associated with Croft. A good rich cedar and spice note through the middle. Not a very long finish and I doubt this would do well at a tasting but a charmer.

Nothing wrong with this wine, I still have a hankering for the other bottling which seemed a bit darker and more robust. Not on the down curve yet. I would guess that it will continue like this for more than ten years. 6-6. I think. I shall have another swill of this tomorrow and consider again.
LGTrotter

Re: 1977 Croft

Post by LGTrotter »

The following evening; the nose is slightly hot and peppery, this tastes a bit more integrated. It has smoothed out, got a bit rounder and fuller. It tastes sweeter too, coating the palate. It remains on the dry side for a vintage port. Pontefract cakes, or that dry, salty liquorice the Dutch are fond of. Tart cherries, making me salivate as I drink it. Not much more length but feeling more evenly spread. Same score but I feel more confident in its capacity to go for another decade. 6-6.
LGTrotter

Re: 1977 Croft

Post by LGTrotter »

A bit better again tonight. Integration is the watchword. Really very tasty now.